10/28/2013 4:37PM

Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Sprint: Groupie Doll lands in post 11

Groupie Doll drew post No. 11 and is the 5-2 morning-line favorite for the Breeders' Cup Filly and Mare Sprint.

ARCADIA, Calif. – Trainer Buff Bradley was elated with Groupie Doll being assigned post 11 when a field of 12 was entered Monday for the $1 million Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint on Saturday at Santa Anita.

“Perfect,” said Bradley, who will be saddling Groupie Doll for the last time before the 5-year-old mare is sold at auction Nov. 6 at Keeneland. “We’d much rather be outside than anywhere.”

Groupie Doll, with Rajiv Maragh back to ride, is expected to be a lukewarm favorite when faced with a tougher task this year in the seven-furlong Filly and Mare Sprint – as opposed to last year, when she was an easy winner as an odds-on favorite.

Other notable starting slots for the Filly and Mare Sprint: Book Review, post 2; Teddy’s Promise, post 5; Dance to Bristol, post 8; and Sweet Lulu, post 12.

[BREEDERS’ CUP 2013: Fields with DRF odds and comments]

Teddy’s Promise, one of the likely pacesetters, prefers to race outside of rivals, trainer Ron Ellis said.

“I wanted farther outside, but I guess it’s better than being down on the rail,” he said.

The Filly and Mare Sprint traditionally has been a Friday event since its 2007 inception but has been moved to the Saturday schedule this year.

Breeders’ Cup Filly and Mare Sprint

Purse: $1 million; seven furlongs; Grade 1
1. Renee’s Titan (M. Gutierrez), 30-1
2. Book Review (R. Bejarano), 6-1
3. Starship Truffles (G. Stevens), 15-1
4. Dance Card (J. Rosario), 8-1
5. Teddy’s Promise (V. Espinoza), 6-1
6. Ismene (M. Smith), 20-1
7. Summer Applause (J. Castellano), 12-1
8. Dance to Bristol (X. Perez), 5-1
9. Judy the Beauty (J. Velazquez), 6-1
10. Great Hot (Brz) (C. Sutherland), 20-1
11. Groupie Doll (R. Maragh), 5-2
12. Sweet Lulu (J. Leparoux), 8-1

Post time: Saturday, 4:21 p.m.

R. Carlos Nanez More than 1 year ago
I would love to see Dance to Bristol go off at 5 to 1 or better, I think she is the best F&M sprinter in the country right now. Come from my old home at Bowie Race Track will be a trill.
EnthusiastOfAll More than 1 year ago
I think Groupie Doll is very beatable here in a race with a lot of value. Top choice is Dance to Bristol, who is the most proven over 7f dirt races and shows a field high Beyer, but will box her with Book Review and probably Dance Card in an exacta. I prefer her to Sweet Lulu on the cutback...Lulu is game but a step slower than these based on figs, and the wide post doesn't help her front running style.
redboy More than 1 year ago
I like Great Hot with Chantal S.aboard thats one less horse I have to worry about. Teddys Promise at 6-1 She's my pick
Marc More than 1 year ago
Big risk here. If she wins, her price tag skyrockets. At the same time, she could suffer an injury and the price drops considerably. Either way the locals & the shippers will have to run an awful lot to beat this filly. I really don't see the 5-1 & the 6-1 horses giving The Doll any fits.
Mark More than 1 year ago
#4
Daniel Alvarado More than 1 year ago
I can see why you like her...could be a sleeper. All I know is I'll be trying to beat Groupie Doll, she looks like half the monster horse from last year, very uninspiring.
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
I love the draw for Sweet Lulu. She can stalk the champ or cross over on her. Either way Sweet Lulu is one of my better plays of the day.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
How did chantal Sutherland get mount over Rosie. Ridiculous. I like Groupie Doll
chad mc rory More than 1 year ago
This heat moves to Saturday, while the Big Mares stay on the undercard???
Lawrence Macselwiney More than 1 year ago
They need a draw for Friday.