Updated on 09/15/2011 2:01PM

Bomb scare mars Fairplex program

Email

POMONA, Calif. - Horse racing resumed Wednesday at Fairplex Park despite a bomb scare which led to the cancellation of a race.

At 2 p.m. Pacific time Wednesday, Fairplex patrons were ordered to evacuate the grandstand. A Fairplex spokeswoman said a bomb threat had been called in, and while Fairplex did not believe it to be credible, "we want to take every precaution," she said.

At the time the grandstand was cleared, the horses were on the track for the third race. That race was canceled. The fourth race was run approximately one hour later, after both Fairplex security and Pomona, Calif., police searched the grandstand and found nothing.

Fairplex officials also spent the day scrambling to adjust post times and simulcast schedules following Tuesday's attacks that led to the cancellation of racing and a one-day closure of the Los Angeles County Fair.

Fairplex was one of only a handful of tracks to re-open Wednesday, and the

absence of full-scale simulcasting led to expectations of decreased handle.

"I think we're going to see a drastic drop today," Fairplex racing spokesman Neil O'Dwyer said Wednesday. "It should pick up Thursday."

The infield flags flew at half-mast Wednesday at Fairplex, and a moment of silence was observed before the raising of the flag.

The cancellation of most racing across the country left Fairplex without

imported simulcast signals Wednesday. The Thursday simulcasting schedule, which normally includes Belmont, includes races 2-9 from Louisiana Downs (replacing Belmont), races 1-9 from Arlington, races 2-5 from Turfway Park, and races 1-2 from Remington Park.

The races cancelled Tuesday will be brought back as extras, and an additonal race will be run every day, starting Friday. First post time will move to 12:30 p.m. Friday and for the rest of the meet to allow for the additional race. Racing secretary Richard Wheeler said the earlier post time will allow for 12 Thoroughbred races to be run each day.

Even while racing was cancelled Tuesday, entries were drawn that morning for the Thursday card. First post Thursday is 1 p.m., and feature race is the $50,000 Bustles And Bows Stakes for 2-year-old fillies. A field of nine entered the 6 1/2-furlong stakes, including Icantgoforthat, 6-5 favorite on the morning line of Fairplex oddsmaker Jon White.

Because of a clerical error in the Del Mar racing office, Icantgorthat was left out of the field for the $100,000 Generous Portion Stakes on Aug. 29. A winner of her only previous start on July 20, Icantgoforthat is a filly by In Excess, trained by Bob Baffert and owned by Mike Pegram.

Other contenders include 5-2 second choice Laurelise, Green Eyed Lady, Good Day Sir, and Past You.