08/25/2008 12:00AM

Biancone agrees to extended ban


The Kentucky Horse Racing Commission has reached an agreement with Patrick Biancone to extend the trainer's suspension from training horses until Nov. 1, officials of the commission said at a meeting on Monday outside of Lexington.

The extension was approved by the commission to settle allegations by KHRC investigators that Biancone was training horses at a property near Lexington this past winter in violation of the terms of a suspension handed down by the commission last year.

Biancone was suspended last year by the commission after investigators discovered vials of a prohibited neurotoxin, cobra snake venom, at his barn at Keeneland Racecourse during a search last summer.

Under the terms of the initial suspension, which began on Nov. 1, Biancone was prohibited from training any horses or benefiting financially from racehorses for six months. In addition, Biancone was prohibited from seeking a training license for an additional six months, but would have been allowed to train horses off a racetrack property for private clients during the second six-month term.

Frank Becker, Biancone's attorney, confirmed the settlement on Monday. Becker said Biancone will still be allowed to attend horse sales and act as a bloodstock agent until Nov. 1, but until that time, the trainer will be prohibited from earning any money from the racing industry.

The settlement also states that Biancone did not admit to violating the terms of his initial suspension. Lisa Underwood, the executive director of the commission, said investigators disagreed with Biancone.

"That's only his position," Underwood said.