01/16/2011 5:54PM

Berrio's riding comeback delayed at Santa Anita

Email

Jockey Omar Berrio’s return to riding from a minor stroke suffered on Dec. 30 has been postponed until next week.

Berrio was booked to ride Straightomidnight in Sunday’s first race, but was taken off the gelding on Sunday morning after failing to receive doctor’s clearance, according to steward Tom Ward.

Ward spoke with Berrio on Sunday morning. Berrio told Ward that he must undergo further consultation with doctors before being allowed to resume riding.

“The doctor wants more information,” Ward said.

Berrio, 42, was hospitalized last month after showing discomfort. He said on Friday that he is now taking blood pressure medication and has felt better in recent weeks. He was released from the hospital on Jan. 1 and resumed working horses in the first week of January.

Berrio won 23 races from 159 mounts last year.

Straightomidnight finished second in Sunday’s first race as the even-money favorite.