06/05/2013 4:07PM

Belmont Stakes: Repole believes his horses belong

At 8-1 on the morning line, Unlimited Budget is the shortest price of the three Belmont entrants owned by Mike Repole.

ELMONT, N.Y. - As a native New Yorker who has been attending races at Aqueduct and Belmont for nearly three decades, owner Mike Repole has made no bones about his desire to win the Belmont Stakes.

“This is the race I want to win, this is the race for 30 years I dreamt of winning,” Repole said.

So it came as no surprise when he ultimately decided to run three horses in the race, including the filly Unlimited Budget (8-1 on the morning line), Arkansas Derby winner Overanalyze (12-1) and Midnight Taboo (30-1).

Repole doesn’t see any downside in running any of the three, including Midnight Taboo, who is still eligible for a first-level allowance race, as are Belmont entrants Golden Soul, Palace Malice, and Frac Daddy.

“Every time you run a horse, whether it’s the Derby or it’s a Grade 1, they’re always going to have to go fast, they’re always going to have to be on top of their game,” Repole said. “I gave them five weeks off between starts. I would be concerned if I was an owner that ran a horse in the Derby and Preakness – three races in five weeks. To me, that’s a bigger concern than an owner running horses every five weeks.”

[BELMONT STAKES: Live updates and video from Belmont Park]

I am from Chicago, have never met Repole, so I feel I am objective about him. I'm not sure why so many people rip this guy? He is running his horses in a race that is special to him. What is wrong with that? There is no bad intention here, at least none that I can see. Look at the recent history of this race, there have been so many entries with similar qualifications as his three. So many recent winners never win another race in their life. Let him give it a try. All you doubters have the ability to go ahead and bet against him.
Perl More than 1 year ago
It's reverse Schadenfreude. People don't like the guy because he made a zillion dollars catching lightning in a bottle with Vitamin Water and he's associated with Todd Vader, er, I mean Pletcher. I don't necessarily see why he is entering Midnight Taboo in this spot but the horse is lightly raced, with upside in a weak field. Go get 'em Mikey.
A Yahoo! User More than 1 year ago
I actually been liked Overanalyze, especially with Rafael Bejarano aboard but unfortunately he doesn't have the mount for the Belmont.
Richard More than 1 year ago
Midnight Taboo should be 300-1...likeliest horse to finish dead last. Would be in my last place trifecta. Repole is a donkey.
Tom Mallios More than 1 year ago
bottom line is that repole can do anything he wants.if they qualify for the race he is entitled to run.i could care less if he ran 10 colts in the race.the operative word here is "colts".UB is a quality filly.she overpowered immitation graded horse in luisiana.in the oaks she sat the perfect trip off of 2 dueling horses.at the top of the lane her stride shortened and she was done.maybe with seasoning she will be able to compete with the top tier 3 yo fillies.but how do you take a filly that is arguably rated 5th or 6th best in the country and run her in the belmont stakes.it sure is not because her breeding says can run all day.for a guy like repole who has been tremendous to this game,it just looks like a publicity stunt.to those who are not new yorkers ,do not trash him and call him classless.the guy basically keeps many unknown and smaller tier trainers in buisiness here.he basically runs 2 stables.the higher echelon with todd and then his claiming and allowance horses which he spreads the wealth with.that is not a classless individual.like i said,if he ran 10 colts,it is fine by me.but mike,you do not need additional headlines to make your mark.he still has one of the greatest quotes i have heard in racing.when he had uncle mo as a 2yo,just prior to the champagne he was supposedly offered a tremendous number to sell.when he didn't a reporter asked him why not? was not arrogant or self serving.all he said was that ,if i did sell him .all i would do is reinvest the money trying to find another uncle mo.i already have the original.that is a guy who loves racing.
JeanK More than 1 year ago
I was hard on Mr. Repole when he ran Uncle Mo beyond his limits(distance wise). Not the same scenario here. If he is paying the bills he should be able to call the shots. Pletcher goes along with it and finds a possibility for UB and Overanalyse, Midnight taboo gotta run him just for the name and make sure no one is walking the dog up front. If I'm willing to bet a 50-1 shot in the race Mike definitely has the right if not the obligation to throw the best he's got in the Belmont, it's his home track. It's part of the fun of being an owner, and if you are managing a top outfit then you should make your presence felt in the top races, it's a must that certain types of managers feel they have to do. I'm one of them. We'll see who'll be laughing Saturday night.
Nancy Spence More than 1 year ago
Just goes to show you that money doesn't buy class.....
Mark More than 1 year ago
yeah ..your comment is filled with it
Matt More than 1 year ago
I actually like Midnight Taboo and Go Go for a live longshot! Lightly raced....should've won last race but had to alter course 3 different times.......no way this horse goes off at 30-1...I'm thinking more between 15-1 & 18-1.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
Leave it up to Repole to deflect his own ignorance on other owners. Orb won The Derby. Oxbow The Preakness. Therefore Eclipse Award may be up for grabs in The Belmont for those two. Winning two legs of The Triple Crown almost ensures 3 year old eclipse. As their owners are also top class breeding outfits, running makes sense. Repole is putting his own interests before his horses. They have no shot. I actually feel sorry for Pletcher having to deal with this. Palace Malice is THE BEST BRED for 1 1/2 although he's turf bred. Revolutionary has class and a nice 3rd in Derby. Unlimited Budget should go to Mother Goose then Delaware Oaks. Midnight Taboo may have had a chance in Easy Goer. Overanalyze is as outclassed as Repole.
Jerry Ray More than 1 year ago
You are completely correct .I should feel bad for Todd but it's the owners that think they are smarter than the trainer and he has to do what they say .It sure is going to look bad when he is 0 for 5 again.
A Yahoo! User More than 1 year ago
And when the owners think they are smarter than the trainers they make the trainer look bad and have people call him loser and desperate. Thats what they been saying bout Todd because of this guy.
mrm More than 1 year ago
Right now Repole is training more horses than you. Who's outclassed?
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
No. He's not. I have 36 in my care as an assistant. Several graded winners. And the owners have brains. Repole can't even read a thermometer. Let alone put on a bridle or bandage. That's a fact! Also I majored in equine science at Tufts and grew up around racehorses. I don't make business decisions. I make sure though that the horses come first. You wanna worship ego maniacs be my guest. But get your info correct first bout me before you run ya mouth. Guys like him should be seen and not heard. Like mushrooms. Kept in the dark.
Jorge More than 1 year ago
Have you met Mike Repole? My guess is you don't so the same should apply to you.
Mark More than 1 year ago
Overanalyzed outclassed? The mother goose is all Julia. in an absolute public paying workout. think repole knows what pletcher has in her . and as a horseman you should too. and as egos go you know what they say. if you spot it you got it .
Mark More than 1 year ago
and good luck this saturady . stay classy . shug would ;)
Mark More than 1 year ago
let me know when you assist with a two year champion and a gotham jim dandy travers and cigar mile winner :)
Christa White More than 1 year ago
My thought exactly. You know because he's been at it so long.
Mike More than 1 year ago
i - i - i - gave them them 5 weeks off - this gavone thinks he is a trainer!
mrm More than 1 year ago
When you're a billionaire you can play trainer.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
Big difference in actually being a horseman and "playing trainer"