07/09/2011 10:49AM

Belmont pick six carried over by mistake

Email

ELMONT, N.Y. - There is a pick-six carryover of $34,680 Saturday at Belmont Park and there shouldn’t be.

The New York Racing Association will conduct an internal investigation to see where a communication breakdown occurred on Friday that resulted in the mutuel department enacting a New York state rule that mandates if two or more races in the pick-six sequence are transferred from the turf to the dirt after wagering has closed, then 75 percent of the pick-six pool must be carried over into the next live racing program.

Two legs of Friday’s pick six were transferred from the turf to the dirt, but before wagering had closed, so there was no reason to enact that rule. But apparently that news wasn’t received by the mutuel department until after the first leg of the pick six had been run.

Thus, races 8 and 9 - the last two legs of the pick six - were declared "all win" races, meaning all horses used were winners. That resulted in 25 percent of the pool being paid out as a consolation (it returned $7.70) and the remaining 75 percent being carried over into Saturday’s program.

Had the rule not been enacted, there almost assuredly would have been one or more winning tickets in the pick six. The last two legs of the pick six were scratched down to fields of three and four, respectively, and favorites had won the first four legs of the sequence.

"Either there was a failure to notify somebody, or somebody was notified and forgot they were notified, or the notification got lost in the shuffle," said Hal Handel, NYRA’s executive vice-president and COO. "That’s what we need to find out first - were the right people notified, who made an error - and then we can try to fix the system."

Handel said that Ken Cook, NYRA’s vice-president/security, will head-up the investigation.

Patrick Mahony, senior vice-president of parimutuel operations, was on vacation Friday.