09/13/2013 10:54AM

Belmont Park: Strong Mandate to run in Champagne Stakes

Strong Mandate, the winner of the Grade 1 Hopeful Stakes on Sept. 2, will run in the Grade 1 Champagne Stakes at Belmont Park on Oct. 5.

Hall of Fame trainer D. Wayne Lukas said Strong Mandate will make his next start in the Grade 1 Champagne Stakes on Oct. 5 at Belmont Park after the colt had his first breeze since romping to victory in the Grade 1 Hopeful Stakes.

Lukas also had considered the Grade 1 FrontRunner on Sept. 28 at Santa Anita as the horse’s final prep for the Nov. 2 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile before deciding on the Belmont race.

“Most likely, he’ll work twice more here before I send him up to New York about a week out,” Lukas said Friday after the colt went a half-mile in 47.40 seconds over a fast track at Churchill Downs.

Strong Mandate, a bay Tiznow colt owned by Robert Baker and William Mack, has raced three times, all at Saratoga. After finishing fifth in his July 22 debut, he led all the way in winning an Aug. 17 maiden race by 4 1/2 lengths, then came from just off the pace to take the Sept. 2 Hopeful by 9 3/4 lengths.

The $500,000 Champagne is run at a one-turn mile.

Guy John More than 1 year ago
This horse will never make it to 3. 4 races in 60 days for a 2 yr old is crazy! This horse is going to be the "Know More" of 2013. Know More broke his maiden in the Delmar Grade 2; then, O'Neil preceded to run this horse into the ground running 5x from Sept - Dec.
Thomas Cook More than 1 year ago
I'm hearing he has shins..maybe just a rumor. Either way ill pick Honor Code
jay More than 1 year ago
Way to spread false rumors, Mr. Inside Genius.
not impressed More than 1 year ago
Both parents developed late so I'm curious to see how he does as the races get tougher and he grows up. He's definitely bred to handle the classic grind next year.
Sy Bonem More than 1 year ago
This colt is no early developer. He will only improve as the distances increase.
jay More than 1 year ago
A voice of reason!
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
I will bet this race, he will lose and we will have another flavor of the month. people get so excited about the future of two year olds. So funny since bc juvenile only 4 2yo horse of the year have went in to win a triple crown race. They are mostly early developing sprinters that win thia race. Pay attention to the horses that finish 4 -6. That is probably your derby horse
phil bailey More than 1 year ago
so many people who have nothing but hate on and can't just tip their hat once in awhile instead of constantly say look at me...lordy
jay More than 1 year ago
Phil...is Rahman not allowed to have an opinion? Are you with the DRF comment police?
Old timer More than 1 year ago
I did not see any "hate" in the comment... just facts. It is true that BC Juvenile winners have seldom gone on to greater things.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
All i have said is just take it one race at a time, people should not be talking kentucky derby or triple crown contenders about a horse with 2 or three starts. I wish i could find out how many times if a person bet the field in pool A of the future derby pool how many times would they have won. I like two year olds I bet two year olds so I better like them. Many of them in the past let me down 6 months later after juv championship. I learn to wait for gotham, San felipe and Fountain Youth Then I get excited and I start acting silly, we all should
Luis Chiari More than 1 year ago
What a horse!,.. Somebody has to follow Mr. Lucas example, "work hard, and keep your mouth shot". Great horse brilliant future! .
ShyainC More than 1 year ago
@jay but the eclipse award and the glory of winning i great too i don't blame him
jay More than 1 year ago
Shyain...I'm not blaming Lukas, just giving my layman's (worthless) opinion as to what I think would be in the best interests of the horse.
Tom More than 1 year ago
Makes no difference, with Lukas training him there will be no horse left by April.
jay More than 1 year ago
Run him in the Champagne and then rest him until next year. Tiznow's offspring are usually late developing horses, so this horse should only get better with age. The BC Juvenile is the most overrated stakes race in the country, and serves no useful purpose as far as getting a horse ready for the Triple Crown trail or even earning qualifying points for the Derby. Do the right thing D Wayne, and shut him down after the Champagne, win or lose.
Holybull More than 1 year ago
jay: I really don't like to argue. Yet i could not keep silent on this one. With rare exceptions horse who shine at 2 do not go on to become outstanding older horses. There are many theories on this issue. The one that makes the most sense is early development v slower development. What I mean is that apparently Strong Mandate HAS already developed early and my guess is that there is very little maturity to expect. With that said, wouldn't it make more financial sense to cash in on him while he is at his peak rather than wait for him to flatten out when compared to horses who have not yet fully matured? I would do it now. As for your comment about Breeder's Cup races being overrated I wont even comment on the stupidity of your comment......
jay More than 1 year ago
No need for nasty comments just because you disagree with me. I said I think the Juvenile is overrated, not the Breeders' Cup in general. That is my opinion, you are welcome to yours. Strong Mandate earned something like an 87 Beyer for the Hopeful Stakes, which is not his upside by a long shot. Just because a horse has early success does not mean he still doesn't have room for considerable development. If that were the case, then most of the great champions of the past would not have had such great careers. This horse is nowhere near his peak, and to say he is shows very little horse racing knowledge on your part. Sorry, I just couldn't resist commenting on your stupidity.
Scott K More than 1 year ago
Get a life, Jay... when you own and/or train Strong Mandate, you can make the call to shut 'im down after the Champagne. Otherwise, you have provided no compelling reason why Strong Mandate should avoid the Breeders' Cup Juvenile. Just because you opine that the BC Juvenile is the most overrated stakes race in the country does not make it so... I'm aware of no owner, trainer or jockey that would be anything but thrilled to win said race (let alone note that the winning horse most likely garners the Eclipse Award for champion 2yo colt as well)...
jay More than 1 year ago
Scott...I'm just giving my opinion. Why are you taking it so personal? I think you are the one who needs to get a life. By the way, does your mother know that you are commenting on an adult message board?
Horse Cents More than 1 year ago
You make some good points, and Holybull makes good points regarding development of which I agree. However, it will be against ever fiber of being in Lukas to not run this horse in the BC Juvenile, even if he finishes up the track in the Champagne. Lukas will run him in the BC.
Lawrence Vaccarelli More than 1 year ago
oh yes...DWL runs this horse in BCjuv.....I believe he's won it 3x or more
R. Carlos Nanez More than 1 year ago
Not only Lukas will run Strong Mandate in the BC, he will run that beast in all TC races until nothing is left. The worst thing for that horse was him to win the Hopeful for #%&..... Lukas.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
We all can have opinions, early development, late development, horses were bred better back then. All I say is there is something to be said that since the start of the breeders cup juvenile only 4 two year old horse of the years have won a single triple crown race. That is 87 races 4 winners 29 years. From 1971-1983 six horses went on to went on to win Triple crown race some won the triple crown. I don't know, what it is, but there is no reason to be disrespectful to a guy for making valid point even though you disagree. You don't know the answer either its all speculation, my belief is 2YO horse should not be running in a derby and that is what the bc juv is. The best 2yo in the world running the longest distance of there career they are to young for that type ofcompetition but that is my opinion. What is missing from 1971-1983. I agree with you Jay. They can start to get nasty with me now