07/14/2012 5:53PM

Belmont Park: Point of Entry scores in Man o' War

Point of Entry, with Jose Lezcano riding, takes the Man o' War.

ELMONT, N.Y. - Point of Entry continued his ascension through the male turf division with a good-looking, 3 1/2-length victory in Saturday's Grade 1, $600,000 Man o' War Stakes at Belmont Park.

After stalking Center Divider through pedestrian fractions, Point of Entry, under Jose Lezcano, took over at the eighth pole and bounded clear for a relatively easy score.

Center Divider held second by one length over Tahoe Lake. Newsdad was fourth, followed by 4-5 favorite Treasure Beach, Hudson Steele, and Game Ball. Philly Ace scratched.

The win was the first Grade 1 victory for Point of Entry and his third consecutive stakes score. Point of Entry is a 4-year-old homebred son of Dynaformer owned by the Phipps Stable and trained by Shug McGaughey. He is a half-brother to the Grade 1 winner Pine Island.

Point of Entry raced within a length of Center Divider through fractions of 26.10 seconds, 52.05, 1:16.68, and 1:40.02 for the opening mile before taking control.

Point of Entry covered the 1 3/8 miles in 2:13.87 and returned $7.90 as the second choice.

"I think he's a pretty good horse," McGaughey said. "Jose rode him great. When Center Divider broke on the lead he laid right up there with him. [Lezcano] said he was relaxed and galloping along. He said at the five-eighths pole something sort of came up there and he just sort of eased into the bridle, kept him in the clear. I though it all worked out really well."

McGaughey said that Point of Entry would most likely be pointed to the Grade 1 Sword Dancer Invitational at Saratoga on Aug. 18.

"I think we saw a step forward today," McGaughey said. "Hopefully, when we get to Saratoga and everything goes right we'll see another one in him."

Treasure Beach, shipping in from Ireland for trainer Aidan O'Brien, was quite disappointing as the favorite. Under Jamie Spencer, he raced in sixth position early, but moved up only one position at the finish. Treasure Beach, a multiple Grade/Group 1 winner at 3, was beaten 10 1/4 lengths and is now 0 for 3 this year.

"He was moving fine, he just didn't do anything," Spencer said. "I asked him to go three [furlongs] out and try and go around one, and he couldn't even get by that one horse in front. You could blame the pace, it was quite a bit steady, but he was quite a bit rank early, so I had to get him back."

Gee More than 1 year ago
Wheres all this guys great hurses, I think he has 2 good ones?? His son rides one.
denali1 More than 1 year ago
LOL rank! its seems the horse was trying to spit the bit the whole race look at him run down the stretch. Its obvious this horse isnt in the best form right now. Hell he has traveled more miles than any horse i have ever seen. Back to drawing board with this one hey O'Brien.
prose More than 1 year ago
Excuse me? He was rank early? Well, Spencer, you were sitting off outrageously slow fractions on a baked, lightening-fast turf course. Of course your horse was rank. You took him out of the gate and then didn't let him run! It would have killed the horse to press the pace a bit? THAT pace? My proclamation: died under wraps.
Gee More than 1 year ago
Eur trip at its best.
Bill Kaup More than 1 year ago
Blame Spencer for not putting his horse in the race earlier. No way anybody can close off those laggardly fractions. Give Rosie credit for giving her horse every chance and kudos to Lezcano for a great ride. Both Jose and Rosie had great days and are really on their game right now. Certainly helps with Ramon and Javier out of town....
Pete Strauss More than 1 year ago
Been following Point of Entry since last race at GULF...now have plowed three straight and I really thought each win was a gift on price...Will be there live in TOGA for Sword Dancer and hope to make it 4 straight...Jose needs to get a lot of credit becaue he moved early enough to put in race with zero pace...
Dan Cronin More than 1 year ago
Point of Entry is the best American horse in the country, east bet, I blind man could have picked that winner 7.90 was like stealing.
MJP More than 1 year ago
Utterly pathetic display. Only three horses were put into the race at any point. My 87 year old grandmother has far more aggressiveness than the modern New York jockey colony. The Euro guy did what he does, at least he has an excuse. I guess the other losers just worship at the altar of Jose Santos, who never met a horse he didn't want to strangle.
prose More than 1 year ago
wow I posted my comment above before I read yours I had the same take on it
Gee More than 1 year ago
Gio Ponti would of won backwards.
Point of Entry looks like he's flying in that picture.
Perl More than 1 year ago
He was practically flying. Final 3f in 33 and change.