09/07/2013 6:02PM

Belmont Park: Hyper gives Ramseys another stakes win in Bowling Green

Adam Coglianese/NYRA
Hyper, ridden by Javier Castellano, outfinishes Finnegans Wake to win the Grade 2 Bowling Green Handicap on Saturday, opening day of the Belmont Park meet.

ELMONT, N.Y. - Different venue, same results for Ken and Sarah Ramsey and Javier Castellano.

After the Ramseys set a single-meet record for wins (22) by an owner at a Saratoga meet, their red and white colors were in the Belmont Park winner’s circle on Saturday’s opening-day program as Hyper held off Finnegans Wake in the stretch to win the Grade 2, $250,000 Bowling Green Handicap by a half-length. It was two lengths back to Boisterous, the 3-5 favorite, in third.

Hyper was ridden to victory by Castellano, who won three races on Belmont’s opening-day card, following up on his five-win closing-day performance Monday at Saratoga, where he was the leading rider with 66 wins.

The Bowling Green was the first graded stakes victory for Hyper, a 6-year-old son of Victory Gallop who debuted for maiden claiming $25,000 in November 2010 at Aqueduct. It was his 10th career win from 21 starts. Hyper is trained by Chad Brown, who came off a 24-win meet Saratoga, which placed him second in the standings to Todd Pletcher.

Hyper was coming off a victory in the listed Johns Call Stakes at Saratoga, but had been compromised by troubled trips when second in the Good Reward here in May and the Grade 2 Colonial Cup at Colonial Downs in June.

Saturday, riding without instructions, Castellano had Hyper a close-up fifth outside of Boisterous, who was racing along the hedge under John Velazquez. Meanwhile, Quick Casablanca was in front, being chased by London Lane and Farhaan.

Around the far turn, Castellano guided Hyper four wide while Velazquez waited for an opening along the hedge with Boisterous. Velazquez thought he had one, but Quick Casablanca, under Luis Saez, closed it as quickly as he opened it.

Velazquez had to alter course after nearly hitting the hedge. “It’s okay to close it," he said, "but don’t drop me.”

Meanwhile, Castellano had clear sailing as he took over from Quick Casablanca outside the eighth pole, before turning back a challenge from Finnegans Wake, who under Cornelio Velasquez had followed Hyper’s move into the stretch.

Said Castellano: “At the quarter pole Johnny didn’t have a choice - he had to go inside. I had a choice to go around the horses. And when I went around the horses he took off and did it the right way today. He hung a little bit the last part, but when he saw [Finnegans Wake] come outside, he took off again.”

Hyper covered the 1 1/4 miles over firm turf in 2:01.37 and returned $7.90 as the second choice.

* Belmont unveiled a new pick-five wager on Saturday on races 1 through 5. The wager, with a 50-cent minimum bet and a 15 percent takeout, handled $238,514. It returned $390 for a $1 bet.

zerosumzen More than 1 year ago
Chad Brown at it again on Sunday, with Calm Pacific dramatically outperforming the form of day... I didn't bet the race, and I'm just looking at it on Monday. So take it or leave it. IMO, this trainer should be considered extremely suspicious.
Forego137 More than 1 year ago
What L Saez did was very unprofessional and very dangerous, forget that Boisterous was 3/5 it was all about what Saez did to prevent the best horse from winning the race and if that means endangering the horse and jockey to prevent them from winning then I guess thats something new in racing that is now overlooked and pretty sure it will catch on real quick with other riders trying to make a name for themselves, we are on the verge of changing the game from THE SPORT OF KINGS to THE UFC OF RACING. What a disgrace it was to the sport to see that happen in a race Graded race and no objection or days handed out for that very dangerous action that Saez did to prevent Boisretous from getting through on the rail, and that is one of many examples why racing is very quickly losing fans of the sport and supporters of the sport..........
Brian Russell More than 1 year ago
Sorry you lost on Boisterous because you somehow failed to recognize that he does not like firm turf. I thought it was obvious. As noted in my previous post, apparently not!
Brian Russell More than 1 year ago
I thought everyone knew Boisterous preferred cut in the ground. Apparently I was wrong or he would not have been 3-5 and I would not be reading comments of those that didn't know blaming the jockey.
Dan Fidel More than 1 year ago
I recall Pincay once saying,"when Im on the best horse I go around".Johnny V has been riding Wise Dan the same way. Sit on the fence and wait for a hole. If he feels he needs to sit these rail trips on horses that are 1-5 and 3-5 in big stakes races, then I don"t feel sorry for him. These are not 14 horse fields. A Hall of Fame rider should be able to back off a pace in a short field and go around. Im enjoying Saez ride. He"s a hungry rider and he closed the door right in Boisterous face.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Pincay who hated cordero who is Johnny v agent, not surprising at all. SMH
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
The ramsey's own the lawn period. I say the wont win one of four breeders cup turf races. I'm crazy
NeilNap More than 1 year ago
Saez should absolutely get days for that ride. Closed the hole on Johnny V very quickly and dangerously when we realized Boisterous was coming through. I'm thinking Johnny V. gave him an earful back in the jocks room.
Holybull More than 1 year ago
Johnny V has to be THE most overrated jockeys of ALL TIME! The ride he gave Boisterous was one of the worst rides I have seen a graded stakes race. Boxed in all the way and trying to get through where there was no room. He should be banned for months....
zerosumzen More than 1 year ago
Or don't bet on the 3/5 favorite. Jockey error decides a lot of races.You'd be surprised how many jockeys force their riding style over the horse's running style. This wasn't jockey error. He was in the 1 hole, and they boxed in the big favorite. He didn't even have the most horse today. Finnegan's Wake did (I had him to place, because I prefer to get paid rather than be cheated out of my money). As to Hyper, a baseball asterisk for this win.
jim More than 1 year ago
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
zerosumzen More than 1 year ago
A common mistake is a jockey riding a stalker like a closer. So then they're behind 14 lengths at the 1/2 mile, and with easily the most horse make up 12 lengths. And lose the race just because they don't know they're on a stalker. That's jockey error, and it happens all the time.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
Funny how so many 200lbs plus dudes know how to ride race horses better than a dude with 10 breeders cup wins, Dubai world cup winner and derby winner
mikey More than 1 year ago
They feel they deserve a great ride for their money everytime.You can not blame them.
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
I agree and a jockey can make a mistake, but remember it is about 80 percent horse. It is really so hard to determined if a jockey ran a bad race people think they do but some time horse just does not respond to something they did in the past. Turf racing is so congested it is just to hard to tell. I use Johnny V in my handicapping and have made some good money by it, especially when a weaker Jockey has the favorite. It is good play if the horse Johnny v is riding did anything good last time out. I like Johnny v today race 9 horse name acenda. 9 horse, last time road by leparoux finish third last time out (polytrack) still I like the horse. Hess and velazquez. Will key in exacta
Holybull More than 1 year ago
Williams: Did you like him in the second today? Did you like him flying to Churchill last night to run out of the money in yet another favorite?
Holybull More than 1 year ago
Mikey: Thanks for your support. I do realize that jockeys make mistakes. We ALL make mistakes. Its the NUMBER of mistakes made by a rider in what appears to be the best horse on paper over and over again. How many times does Johnny V need to "get boxed" on the rail before he learns better? Why don't I see this happening with other jockeys like Rosario, Bejarano and Saez and others as much as I do with Johnny V?
rahman Williams More than 1 year ago
You win and lose in this game, he finish fifth and 9th in the races I bet today. Lol. I tell you what for now on be a never bet Johnny v on a favorite guy. Or just don't bet him period. Like I said it is 80% horse. So keep on being a 200lb jockey
mikey More than 1 year ago
The more you watch races the jockey means less and less.When a horse is the best allmost any jock in the locher room will win.
Jorge More than 1 year ago
you should be banned from here!
Holybull More than 1 year ago
When I place a wager I DO expect a solid ride for my money. I did NOT bet Boisterous and would never take less than 9-5 for my money. My point was I thought Johnny V gave the horse a typical bad ride. He is riding scared and unless he gets an easy lead or holes magically open up for him he does not go out of his way to make something happen unless its a really important race. I have noticed this riding from Johnny V since he took a few falls. He IS overrated and his stakes wins are attributable to Pletcher not him.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Grazyna Mianska More than 1 year ago