10/17/2014 1:19PM

Barretts cancels November racing age sale

Email

Barretts will not conduct a horses of racing age sale at Del Mar on Nov. 8 as previously scheduled, according to the sale company’s general manager, Kim Lloyd.

Lloyd said on Thursday that Barretts has plans to conduct an autumn horses of racing age sale in October 2015 in conjunction with an open yearling sale.

Barretts is planning six sales at two venues in 2015 – a mixed sale on Jan. 26, and the select sale of 2-year-olds in-training on Feb. 23 at its facility in Pomona, Calif. Those will be the final two events at that facility on the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds, which no longer conducts live race meetings each September.

For the remainder of 2015, sales will be conducted at Del Mar – a sale of 2-year-olds in-training on May 27, the Paddock Sale of horses of racing age on July 19, a select yearling sale on Aug. 12, and a combined yearling and horses of racing age in October.

Lloyd said that an autumn horses of racing age sale in November of this year would have been difficult.

“It didn’t feel like any continuity would be established,” he said. “It would have been a different sale next year.”

Lloyd said that there is hope that an autumn sale of horses of racing age at Del Mar will attract attention in coming years similar to the growth established in the Paddock Sale, which was held for the third time this year.