08/23/2012 11:27AM

Banned trainer pleads his case on anti-slaughter policy

The case of Canuki and Cactus Cafe is nearing its conclusion, at least for the horses. The two Thoroughbreds became famous in May when their surprising return from the Richelieu slaughterhouse in Canada led the horsemeat company to stop accepting Thoroughbreds and raised questions about the effectiveness of racetrack anti-slaughter policies.

Canuki and Cactus Cafe are now in the hands of a horse welfare advocate who publicized the case while trainer Mark Wedig, 57, was ejected by Mountaineer Park on May 29 under the track’s anti-slaughter policy. Wedig, who retrieved them from the slaughterhouse two weeks after selling them to a slaughter buyer, denies that he knowingly sent Canuki and Cactus Cafe to slaughter. He says his ejection has devastated his life and effectively ended his 21-year career as a public trainer.

Wedig’s hearing to appeal the ejection took place June 29, and now he and the West Virginia Racing Commission are awaiting examiner Jeff Blaydes’s recommendation, which could come by mid-September. If the commission upholds Wedig’s ejection, other tracks are likely to bar him, too. Some already have. Wedig said he is unable to train at Mountaineer, Presque Isle Downs, and tracks owned by Penn National Gaming. He said he also tried to train at Woodbine, which does not have an anti-slaughter policy, but was not allowed there, either.

“My life has pretty much been ruined,” said Wedig, who currently owns two broodmares and three horses in training. “They’ve practically drove me to bankruptcy. I’m making no money. My owners, I guess they feel like I have the plague. I’ve lost all my owners. I’m hauling horses right now to try to make things happen. It’s very devastating.”

Testimony from Wedig’s hearing and a recent interview with him reveal new details about the case, which has shed light on the largely underground trade of ex-racehorses for meat. It has highlighted how volunteer horse welfare advocates often serve as informal chief detectives monitoring the path from racetrack to slaughter, how fast the transition from racehorse to meat horse can be as owners and trainers seek to sell horses they can no longer use or afford, sometimes to kill-buyers they know and sometimes unwittingly to unscrupulous agents. And although these horsemen might be subject to anti-slaughter penalties, the sale of horses for meat remains legal in the U.S.

The Canuki/Cactus Cafe story began April 23, when Wedig paid their then-owner, Barbara Price, $300 for the pair. On May 1, he hauled the horses from Beulah Park in Grove City, Ohio. Local horse welfare advocates, fearing Wedig had sent Canuki and Cactus Cafe to slaughter, notified Ohio stewards and Beulah racing officials. On May 11, after neither the advocates nor Ohio officials could confirm the horses’ whereabouts, Ohio stewards took action against both Wedig and Price for providing false information and impeding the investigation. Because he is a licensed trainer at Mountaineer in Chester, W. Va., Wedig also came under scrutiny from Mountaineer officials, who also had heard from Ohio officials and horse welfare advocates.

But according to documents presented at Wedig’s hearing, by May 3 Canuki and Cactus Cafe were already in the hands of Fred Bauer, a slaughter buyer from LaRue, Ohio. On that date, veterinarian Earnest D. Kearns examined them and 28 other horses for a USDA health certificate that would allow Bauer to ship the animals across the border to Canada. The paperwork Kearns signed May 3 lists Bauer consignor for the entire group, including one other Thoroughbred (an 8-year-old chestnut stallion with an unidentified lip tattoo), 23 Quarter Horses, one Haflinger mare, and three paint horses. Their destination, as noted on the paperwork, was Viande Richelieu, one of four facilities in Canada that slaughters horses for the foreign food market. Additional paperwork required for Canadian importation certifies the horses, including Canuki and Cactus Cafe, as fit “to travel to a slaughter facility.”

The Ohio Racing Commission notified the West Virginia Racing Commission of its May 11 action against Wedig, and the WVRC stewards’ office in turn notified Mountaineer officials. On or around May 12, Mountaineer racing secretary Rosemary Williams testified, she called Wedig to her office and asked him where Canuki and Cactus Cafe were and whether they were alive.

“He just said he didn’t know where they were,” Williams said in her testimony, adding that she gave him a copy of the track’s anti-slaughter policy and an affidavit “certifying that these horses haven’t gone to slaughter,” and asked him to review the affidavit with a lawyer. Wedig signed and presented the affadavit to Mountaineer officials May 19.

On May 18, according to USDA paperwork in the hearing record, Wedig had imported Canuki and Cactus Cafe − inaccurately called Cactus Club on USDA paperwork that day − from Canada via the Niagara Falls, N.Y., port of entry. According to the paperwork, “The horses were originally exported to Canada for immediate slaughter.”

Wedig produced both horses for West Virginia veterinarian John Day at the In Front Training Center, also known as the Barbarino training facility, near Mountaineer. Day identified them as Canuki and Cactus Cafe.

According to the official transcript from Wedig’s June 29 hearing in Newell, W. Va., Wedig trailered Canuki and Cactus Cafe to the Holiday Inn Express, where the proceedings took place in an effort to prove that he did not “directly or indirectly cause horses to be put to slaughter,” as the anti-slaughter policy at Mountaineer (and many other tracks) puts it. Blaydes and other hearing participants watched as the horses were unloaded and led around the hotel’s parking lot before Blaydes allowed them to be hauled away, in order to keep them out of the summer heat.

At the hearing, Wedig’s attorney, Lawrence Manypenny, pressed Mountaineer racing secretary Rosemary Williams to explain how Mountaineer could eject Wedig for violating the anti-slaughter policy when Canuki and Cactus Cafe had not been killed.

“Mr. Wedig made arrangements for that to happen,” Williams answered. “Once he found out that he was in trouble and that there were repercussions, he actually went and retrieved those horses.”

“So what?” Manypenny answered. “By your testimony of your own proposed no-slaughter policy, you’ve testified that to ‘put to slaughter’ is to kill the horse. The horses were not killed. You saw them today.”

“I did,” Williams said.

“OK,” Manypenny continued. “So how, by your own testimony, how did he violate the policy?”

“Just because he was able to retrieve the horses he was intending to slaughter does not mean that he did not violate that policy,” Williams answered.

In an Aug. 21 interview, Wedig said he never intended to sell the pair to slaughter and that he was unaware that Bauer, to whom he sold the horses, was a well-known agent for the Richelieu plant.

“He was a buyer, but I didn’t know he sent them to slaughter,” Wedig said. “When I purchased these horses, I bought them sight-unseen. When I picked them up 10 days later, they were so, so incredibly thin, I just couldn’t believe it myself. I’d seen these horses in December, and they were beautiful, just gorgeous, and I purchased them just to race, you know. So I sold them to Fred, and I had no idea they would go to a slaughter plant.”

After horse welfare advocates raised the alarm about the horses’ whereabouts and the search began to generate publicity, Wedig started getting calls from horse advocates. He said he called Bauer, who told him Canuki and Cactus Cafe had shipped to Canada.

“I contacted the firm up there to purchase them back,” Wedig said. “It’s never been done, and it’s extremely hard.”

Wedig said he “can’t reveal” specifically what he did to retrieve the horses and said that when Bauer gave him Richelieu’s phone number, “at that time I didn’t know what it was.” Wedig said Richelieu was “very accommodating,” and he drove his trailer to Quebec to pick the horses up from a holding pen. He said Canuki and Cactus Cafe were even thinner.

“I guess I wasn’t surprised,” he said, “because if they were − you know, like I said, I grew up on a farm, and this is what they do. When something comes in to butcher, whether it’s a cow or pig, their feed and water is taken away so there’s no or very little mess when they butcher them.”

Wedig said he is not opposed to anti-slaughter policies, which are now in force at numerous tracks, including those owned by Churchill Downs Incorporated, the Stronach Group, the New York Racing Association, and Beulah owner Penn National Gaming, as well as Suffolk Downs and Mountaineer Park.

“I think it’s a great policy, but I think it’s implemented in the wrong way,” Wedig said. “It’s one-sided. A lot of other people have been in my situation, and they’ve taken stalls or did some sort of penalty, but in my situation none of that happened. It was just out the door, blackballed. They’ve got to come up with a better plan.”

Another problem with the policies, Wedig said, is that “inside the fence they’re trying to implement them, but outside the fence it’s legal” to sell horses to slaughter.

“For me to be management-excluded, I don’t quite understand that penalty,” Wedig said. “When other ones before me maybe lost stalls or whatever. I kind of think that I’m a little bit of a hero, I guess, because I’m the one that went to Canada, and this is a first. Nobody’s recognizing that, I guess. I know I sold the horses to the wrong person, but like I said, we do the best we can.”

On Aug. 21, Wedig accepted a Thoroughbred rescue group’s offer for Canuki and Cactus Cafe, who now are at a farm near Columbus, Ohio, not far from Beulah Park. According to their new owner, Mary Johnson of the North American Thoroughbred Aftercare Coalition, the horses are a little underweight but apparently healthy. They eventually will be turned over to other facilities for retirement or adoption.

The two bays’ roundtrip from Ohio to Canada has changed the slaughter market for American Thoroughbreds. And Ohio steward Joe Deluca, one of the officials from Ohio who investigated Wedig and Price, said it also has focused racetracks’ and horsemen’s attention more closely on slaughter.

“The notoriety and publicity this case attracted, it made the racetracks realize they’ve got to take a more proactive stance on it,” Deluca said.

“Cactus Cafe and Canuki are the poster horses for the horses that have been slaughtered before them and that will be slaughtered after them,” Johnson said. “In the end, Mark Wedig did the right thing and relinquished these horses to this group. But we’ve just put a bandage on a hemorrhage. There are hundreds more at the tracks. This goes on weekly at tracks throughout the country. But this is a step in the right direction. Those involved in racing will now think about the future of their horses when they’re done racing.”

Peggy Bownes More than 1 year ago
Peggy Bownes More than 1 year ago
Well the truth is coming out about the race horses and Nurse Mare foals. Its NO secret any more. Its out with it all over the net. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mvw6tTHrs&feature=player_embedded
Deb Olivas More than 1 year ago
The subject has gotten away from it's org. content, I have asked questions of the "hero's" of the above article and in return have gotten the standard nasty responses, no one has answers. so I have posted one last time, more questions, I do not have all the answers nor do I pretend to, I do know that unwanted and abandoned horses are on the rise, with the droughts and fires a lot of people are going to be in a situation they don't want to be in. Do I like slaughter? No, I don't, but what I like less is slaughter in Mexico, and seeing starved and abandoned horses. And for the record, this group seems intent on maligning Mary Matthews, who loves horses to the moon and back, she is a true friend to horses, Mary Matthews and I do not agree on many things, but she has the class to agree to disagree without name calling, lies and hatred and for that I respect her greatly, even though I have never met her I admire her dedication to thoroughbred s and her love of horse racing, she is in no way shares my opinions on horse slaughter and for these people to attack her in the manner that they have been doing for months now just shows the kind of people they truly are. Fanatic's and anti racing hate mongers. And with this, I will waste no more time and space on this thread.
Mary Adkins-Matthews More than 1 year ago
I am done here as well... I know you also care about and love horses Deb. I know you have helped far more than the people on this page who attack racing and hate those involved in it. For many people, it is about being right and not finding real solutions to help horses. As you can see practically no one responded to this page anyhow, just the few involved. As my husband pointed out, the story didn't even make the front page that he saw, it was not easy to find. I think people are getting tired of the news constantly covering the hatred of racing. And when I say people, i mean racing people and fans which is what the DRF is supposed to be. Hopefully they won't fall into the same trap that the Paulick report has and get a reputation by many of being nothing more than a tabloid publication
Mary Adkins-Matthews More than 1 year ago
Hopefully at some point Joe will stand up for the racing industry and stop being afraid to tell the truth. He knows all too well why he wanted to get these horses back. They were no more special than any other horse that leaves his track to slaughter each week. It's pathetic when an official bows down to a group of rescue fanatics that don't get it.
Deb Olivas More than 1 year ago
I am leaving this persons name off but here is a recent post I just read, the good news is she thinks she will manage somehow, not everyone has the skills, please Mary Johnson and friends tell me the answers for the others out there who don't know what to do. As some of you know, I am still without work, I am hoping to get back to work soon. Our hay supplier has told us that we need to find some hay to get us through the winter months and currently he only has about another 2-3 weeks worth of hay in his barn for us unless we get lots of rain and a much needed miracle. Does anyone have any names and numbers of someone local to us that may have some grass hay that they can sell us for a more "normal" price? Or any ideas on how to help us? I normally find a way to always make sure the kids are fed.. but I am getting worried that we may not be able to find what we can afford or what we need. So I am asking for everyone's help now, we could use any help in any form we can get it. Thank you!
Susan Ross More than 1 year ago
Deb, First of all, anyone with a grain of intelligence knows that starved, abandoned or non weight bearing horses are rejected at the slaughter house. Then after the hell they have already been through, they are often dumped and abandoned in deserted areas putting them through more hell until they starve to death. There is one really simple answer: It is called personal responsibility and personal sacrifice. A healthy well cared for horse does not arrive at an emaciated state in a day, a week or even a month. Life is all about priorities and choices. The priority needs to be: I, the owner, am reponsible for providing care for my horse and if I am unable to continue doing so, I choose to provide him with a humane end of life over starvation or slaughter. I am committed to doing everything I can to avoid such a decision. However, if humane euthanization becomes my sole option, I will commit to selling anything I own to provide the funds for H.E. The problem lies in the selfish nature of people who are unwilling to make personal sacrifices to provide humane care for a horse, Add the income available, if someone chooses to cut their food bill down by eating ramen noodles&generic mac and cheese for a month, cancelling the internet and cable/dish tv service, selling their computer & TB, taking out a loan on their car or their house, curtailed all expenses for clothing, entertainment and electronic gadgets. There should be plenty of funds there. If not, almost every company except perhaps your mortgage bank or landlord will put you on a payment plan if you miss a payment or two.
Deb Olivas More than 1 year ago
Good for you Susan Ross, in a perfect world I imagine everyone will put the kids and housing second., Righteousness doesn't become anyone.
Deb Olivas More than 1 year ago
Deb Curtis Olivas Sorry to burst your bubble John, I just see reality, the reality that fanatic's don't have any way to save all the horses, and I prefer to see options to seeing horses starving, abandoned to fend for themselves, and there will be more of it, John how much land and money do you have? we can see just how many of these horses you are willing to care for, what 2000, 3000 how many can you and your friends support? For the record John, I have never sent a horse to slaughter,I currently have 5 retired race horses, did have 6 but had to put one down this spring due to infirmities, I am lucky I have a good friend who is a Vet and I got this done without a lot of expenses, not everyone is as lucky as I am, I am blessed with good friends, not everyone knows how to handle situations when it comes to feeding the kids or the horse, don't have the money for the Vet or a place to bury, don't know about rendering companies. I don't see your group posting about these options to help educate either, I do hand out the information to any one I know getting a horse, and to some I know are going to be faced with problems at some time, I get calls all the time for help, people need options John, realistic options, you provide none, rescues are full,feed and hay is going to go up again and may become scarce in some parts of the country, what plans do you have John, I keep asking and all I get out of you and your friends is more of your hate and venom, I learned along time ago it's better to be kind than right, now that just gave you the floor to start in on how inhumane slaughter is, maybe you should spend a little time toward making it more humane because like or not we can not save nor support 10,000 horses a year, start adding John, 10,000 plus 10,000 on it goes, what is your plan John, so far all I have seen you and your friends do is save a couple here and there and now you have managed to condem to rest to hell in hel,l Mexico, oh yes you all have done well.
Mary Johnson More than 1 year ago
Just to let everyone know, Deb Curtis Olivas posts on a FB Pro-Slaughter page.
Deb Olivas More than 1 year ago
Yes sometimes I do, and maybe you should go read it. Being right all the time must be a very lonely place Ms Johnson, please do me a favor go read what I posted because it concerns you as well as your troll John. Then I will be waiting to hear an intelligent reply, something that seems to be lacking from any posts I see from your group, all you preach is hatred.
Heather Clemenceau More than 1 year ago
Before anyone even feels a twinge of sadness for Mr Wedig, dont forget that these horses already had homes lined up and were scheduled to go the next day. If he had not decided to take them, he never would have had any of this happen. Its all about the choices you make in life. There will be no pity party for Mr Wedig here - Nancy McMillan.
Deb Olivas More than 1 year ago
One question if these horses had homes, were already spoke for, how did Wedig get them, he did not steal them, I am not defending Wedig, but there is way more to the story about these horses, and again I ask, seem to be wasting my breath, what about the rest of the horses on that load to Canada.
Mary Johnson More than 1 year ago
I have decided that it is useless to engage pathological liars in dialogue. One in particular will continue to twist and spin the truth. I wish her and her gal pal the best of luck as they work diligently to defend Mr. Wedig.
Mary Adkins-Matthews More than 1 year ago
No one defended Wedig.. that is your lie and how you spin the truth. I told him again yesterday that I work daily to help horses to be safe. He knows I am very much against slaughter and there needs to be other options for horses. He knows I wanted these 2 horses safe and nothing more. The question was WHY do you think Joe was helping these horses? this group called Joe Deluca a hero and I disagreed early on and I guess that deemed me an enemy I talked to Joe in great lengths from the start and he said he knows horses leave Beulah on a weekly basis. He said there is nothing that he can do about it. YOU told me that the kill buyers truck was on the back side of Beulah for 2 weeks before Canucki and Cactus Cafe shipped to slaughter.. that was on Deluca's watch. I asked you why they thought he cared so much about these 2 horses and not of the others? Joe was concerned that this was making him look bad, nothing more. That is why he told Wedig to go get the horses back. I do not believe for one minute that he cares more about these 2 horses than any other horse that are at his track. So I was attacked and condemned over that but guess what? I was right, he told me the same exact thing yesterday. In fact he said he was shocked at how much attention this story has got, and he doesn't sound too happy about it even now. Print that out and give it to him.
Susan Ross More than 1 year ago
Wondering then, why Wedig did not give the horses to you instead of Fred Bauer?
Mary Adkins-Matthews More than 1 year ago
By the time I talked to Wedig, the horses were gone.. I don't know Wedig as this group has made it out to be. I only knew him after the horses were taken and I was attempting to help like many others. Don't believe all the lies you hear , I am a good person who cares about horses and fights for them daily.
Deborah Jones More than 1 year ago
The chestnut thoroughbred stallion also listed on Bauer's kill sheet under USHN # 5541 was actually only 4 yrs old, foaled in 2008. The two listed immediately after were USHN # 5542 Cactus Cafe and USHN # 5543 Canuki. This stallion was also tattooed.