05/20/2013 1:48PM

Arlington Park: Willcox Inn returns in good shape after Dixie loss

Willcox Inn got hemmed in at the top of the Pimlico stretch in the Dixie.

ARLINGTON HEIGHTS, Ill. - Willcox Inn has returned to Arlington Park no worse for the wear after contesting the Dixie Stakes on Saturday at Pimlico, but with another tough loss hung on his résumé.

About seven weeks after taking a half-length loss to the very talented Amira’s Prince in the Mervin Muniz Handicap at Fair Grounds, Willcox Inn lost by a half-length to Skyring in the Dixie. Skyring led all the way in the race, which was run over a turf course that appeared to carry speed throughout the card. Willcox Inn, hemmed in at the top of the stretch, came out to make a good run, but just could not reach the winner.

“Speed was holding, and it was frustrating, really, but those are two very good efforts,” said trainer Mike Stidham. “I’m not disappointed in the horse – just disappointed in the result.”

Stidham said Willcox Inn had come out of the Dixie in good shape, and that he would be nominated to all the major longer-distance turf races this summer.

“We’ll ship wherever we need to go to try and get him in the right spot,” Stidham said.

Con MacCarthy More than 1 year ago
Mike and Hillary have done a wonderful job with Wilcox Inn,congrats.Looking forward to a stellar Arlington Park campaign.
Chris Chester More than 1 year ago
I had three 50 cent pic4s if Wilcox had overcome the bias. Left skyring off of my main tickets so really blew it again! I think Wilcox Inn tried very hard personally
Anton More than 1 year ago
In the hands of an excellent trainer. Willcox Inn will find the right spot and get on a roll.
Harris Wacher More than 1 year ago
Finally getting over the sting of this race. I had Skyring on my pick 5 with Orb singled and hit 4 of 5. To add salt to the wound, I had Wilcox on my pick 4, but I took Skyring off the ticket, had Oxbow, and hit 3 of 4. Sick loss, but have only myself to blame.
michael More than 1 year ago
All I needed Willcox to do was hurry up and beat Skyring to the wire, and I had a monster triple. Willcos Inn does not want to win. Disappointed me many times, and in the wallet as well.
Gary Camejo More than 1 year ago
yeah i suffered a very tough loss on saturday too.
kimmons2 More than 1 year ago
He is a nice horse and I feel the best is yet to come!!! He is a trier and runs hard, it is coming!! Love this horse.... Glad he is safe and sound!!
Joe More than 1 year ago
Made him 4th in the Dixie. Made Skyring on top. Didn't have the exacta.. Big mistake!!
Greg Stevens More than 1 year ago