01/05/2014 6:37PM

Aqueduct: Race canceled, refunds issued after tractor breaks down

Sunday’s last race at Aqueduct was canceled when a tractor broke down on the track and couldn’t be removed before sunset.

The cancellation forced the New York Racing Association to refunds wagers placed on the ninth race - win, place, show, exacta, trifecta, superfecta, and trifecta - totaling $790,043.

It also resulted in a scenario regarding the pick six in which only the money wagered on Sunday ($94,546) - and not the $24,569 carryover from Saturday’s card – was paid out.

The last race was ordered to be an “all-win” race for purposes of the pick six, pick four, and pick three, but state law dictates that all races have to be run in a multi-race wager in order for any carryover to be paid out. Now, that money will be carried over into the next live racing card, which is Thursday.

Those who correctly selected the winners of the first five races in the pick six received a payout of $7,697. Those who selected four winners before the ninth race received a consolation payout of $64. Those who were alive into the pick three and pick four heading into race 9, received $109.50 and $367, respectively, based on a $2 wager.

According to NYRA officials, a transmission locked up on the tractor, which broke down near the six-furlong pole. The final race, scheduled for a 4:17 p.m. post, was carded to be run around two turns at a mile and 70 yards.

The tractor could not be removed before sunset - 4:43 p.m. - and state law prohibits NYRA from conducting races after sunset.

Live racing resumes Thursday with a first post of 12:25 p.m. Eastern.

Ian GW More than 1 year ago
Why not run the race the next racing day and keep all pools live? Is that impossible?
mikey More than 1 year ago
That is a great idea.Nyra would never do it .They might give the race true race fan a break.
robert bertz More than 1 year ago
Almost impossible for the horses. They have their feed taken away from them on race day and they have received their shot of lasix. For them to come back the next day is near impossible.
Eden Bauer More than 1 year ago
I wonder if there will be any lawsuits over this? My bf was 3 for 3 in the Pick 4 going into the last race and had 3 picks, one of which would have paid over 3k. I am sure he was not alone in this.
Jake Perdie More than 1 year ago
What NYRA did was legal. It's written that way in the NYS pari-mutuel law. How do you think the people feel that were alive to either 39K or 74k in the pick six? They received 7k. but hey thats just another possible outcome in the world of handicapping
Eden Bauer More than 1 year ago
I was definitely thinking of those people alive in the Pick 6 ... to never know what could have happened is the worst part!
Bugsy Anderson More than 1 year ago
No lawsuits.... its in the rules. Its no different than as if a massive spill that wiped out all but one horse.
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
robert bertz More than 1 year ago
She never said He did not play a pick 3 in the 1st 3 legs of the pick 4, did She? He may have hit that also.
David G. More than 1 year ago
There's always an auxiliary tractor by the starting gate if the one attached to the starting gate breaks down. Why couldn't that one be used to tow the other one that was disabled?
MR More than 1 year ago
With a locked tyranny?
David G. More than 1 year ago
You're right. Maybe a flatbed would've helped
Kevin Miller More than 1 year ago
The NYRA is in the slot business now. Horse racing is just an inconvenience for the slot business. They could care less.
martymar . More than 1 year ago
Can you actually provide a statistic that during dark days there significant increase in slots revenue? Otherwise another moron that thinks there is a conspiracy. Majority of horse players are in the racetrack because they bet on horses not slot machines.
Patricia Doyle More than 1 year ago
If it is too cold and a tractor breaks down causing races to be cancelled, just play SoCal or Fla races.
martymar . More than 1 year ago
The degenerates are out of the woodwork again, they cancelled the last race of the card big deal, It was too cold that a tractor broke down imagine the temperature and environment the horses and jockey had to deal with it. A lot of morons are sitting a warm comfort home or off track betting site complaining that a lot more should have been done.
Matt D. More than 1 year ago
I'm curious martymar. Under what weather parameters would operate in if you were in charge of the inner-track?
Matt D. More than 1 year ago
would you operate
martymar . More than 1 year ago
you are aware that so far this winter that it's been excessive colder than usual right? And you are aware that in deep freezing temperature car heating block are use to start cars right? Now you tell me how many time has this ever occurred that the tractor broke down.
Dale Tillotson More than 1 year ago
Where was NYRA tow service to to the tractor? Oh I forgot giving a boost to Chris Kay's car
John Stevelberg More than 1 year ago
NYRA strikes again !
Adam DeSantis More than 1 year ago
I was NOT happy I keyed the #6 in the third leg of the pick 4 (27.20) I spent quite a bit of time handicapping the last 4 races I had 6 horses going into the last leg...I was super thrilled at my chances. Could I have lost yes I suppose I could have BUT to have a nice payoff just taken away from me and have to swallow a crappy consolation payout was hard to take...was not happy. Even if I lost at least I had myself to blame. I wish I bet the #6 flat in the 8th but eh...coulda, shoulda, woulda...I never saw that coming yesterday...I will be taking a break for a bit that is for sure.
mikey More than 1 year ago
At least they could have give the takeout.That would up the payoff.Guess they need the money to fix the tractor.
PHILD333 More than 1 year ago
I hear you, i feel bad that the last race couldn't be run with people still in it. I think you would have got it. I played the pk4 myself, i singled out the 7 in the 8th lost, it was a $32 bet. The 6 was my 3rd choice. I was talking to a friend during that race on the phone he liked the 6 a lot in that race he hit the exacta.I put 20 to win on him when i saw how high the odds were. Well something is better than nothing. Better luck next time.
Matt D. More than 1 year ago
Don't forget Adam, EACH one of your six horses in the last leg gets you a payoff but I completely understand your disappointment. NYRA handled this better than Hollywood Park once did. Back in November of 2002 I played into a Pick-6 with a carryover of over 100k. Heading into the last race i was in good position to collect some decent money on multiple 5 out of 6 payoffs if one of my three horses won. Suddenly there was delay. Over an hour later Hollywood cancelled the last race. Fifteen minutes later they provided the explanation and the P6 payoffs. A transformer had blown and they couldn't fix it. Those who had 5 of 5 in the difficult sequence got paid over 20 grand. Those with 4 out of 5 got the shaft (no payoff). Under those similar circumstances it seems to me that the NYRA has the better solution (all winners in cancelled race for multi-race payoff purposes).
TEDK215 More than 1 year ago
S**t Happens!
mikey More than 1 year ago
But why at NYRA all the time.