03/04/2013 3:31PM

Aqueduct: Comma to the Top has Carter on itinerary

Tom Keyser
Comma to the Top (right) holds off Saturday's Charm to win the Tom Fool at Aqueduct on Saturday.

OZONE PARK, N.Y. – One day after his courageous nose victory over Saturday’s Charm in the Grade 3 Tom Fool Handicap at Aqueduct, Comma to the Top was flown to south Florida on Sunday morning. But there are no plans to run him in Saturday’s Gulfstream Park Handicap.

“Definitely not,” trainer Peter Miller said Monday morning.

Certainly, traveling and running back on short rest weren’t detrimental last weekend to Comma to the Top, who won the $200,000 Tom Fool one week after finishing third in the San Carlos at Santa Anita. Still, Miller said he sent him to Florida – on the same flight as Top Flight winner Summer Applause and Gotham fifth-place finisher Overanalyze – as a pit-stop before his return to Southern California, which was scheduled for Tuesday.

However, if all goes well, Miller does intend to send Comma to the Top back to New York for the Grade 1 Carter Handicap at Aqueduct on April 6.

“We’re definitely thinking about sending him back for the Carter,” Miller said.

Miller said all reports were that Comma to the Top came out of his Tom Fool victory “super.” Comma to the Top was passed on the outside by Saturday’s Charm in deep stretch, but found some resolve and battled back under Joel Rosario to get the win.

“I’m not sure that Joel saw the horse on the outside, he was thinking Head Heart Hoof was the” main challenger, Miller said. “When Saturday’s Charm put a neck on us I thought we were going to run second or third. He just showed he’s got the heart of a champion.”

Miller had said last week that he had always wanted to get Rosario on Comma to the Top, but never could before Saturday.

“I thought they’d go together like peanut butter and jelly,” Miller said.

Comma to the Top, who earned a 95 Beyer Speed Figure for the win, has won 12 of 28 starts and banked $1,180,696, all for owner Gary Barber.

Jim Fields More than 1 year ago
It has never been proven how much time a horse should have between races, I had one horse that I owned and trained his whole career of 123 races, he won,placed, and showed over 20 times each. I also won five races on a single card and four of those winners had run the day before, granted it was Yakima Meadows and the last two days of the fall meet, but all of those horses were sound happy horses after the races. The point is !! how much rest and conditioning does a healthy, sound horse need to run its best. CTTT ran, shipped, and ran better in a week. Supposedly higher classed horses need more recovery time between races, I don't think so. Soundness is the key,if the legs are cold and the horses head is out the stall door, run him. Good horses don't necessarily try harder, they have more talent, they don't pound the ground any harder, probably not as hard as some claimer. They normally get the best care available. I understand that some may argue to the contrary, but why do the better geldings run until they are 8 or 9 and the better colts somehow become crippled by 4 or before. Why do more aged mares run than horses. Why do trainers of the better ones milk them as long as they can and not run them like the geldings and fillies. I know, I talk too much, but it's from an owner/trainer perspective.
Donald Case More than 1 year ago
Seems like Barber has the magic touch when bringing horses from SoCal to run in NY. Take Big Business for example, .....ok he's a NYSB but still ,he didn't run a lick out west.Send them here, of the plane, one around the shed row , a jog over the track then win..............fantastic
John More than 1 year ago
This horse has always run his race, no matter who he faced, either he was good enough to beat them or just a step or 2 slower. He is easy to handicapp, you know his speed , and his best distance ! BUT, again, I thought the RAIL Saturday would be his demise ! One thing about this horse, he might have 3-4 more graded wins if he hadnt drawn the inside so many times! Outside of horse's, Millers horse is a monster ! Id love to bet him if he drew outside in the Breeders Cup Mile, wave bye bye folks ........................slow down Peter, dont squeeze the lemon to much, remember the Breeders Cup is on your home turf !
SINNtilator More than 1 year ago
I realize I was wrong (so far..) thankfully about CTTT's chances in Tom Fool this past Saturday and don't get me wrong I am glad he won b/c he has been one of my favs since he won Cash Call Futurity in 2010 but now Miller sends him to Florida yesterday, is gonna fly him back to So Cal tomorrow all the while looking at another race in NY 1 month from now. Look Mr. Miller you were very fortunate this all worked out for you but don't do this to this horse, not one who has done so much for your career. Horses that travel as much as you are planning to put CTTT through here in the next month and the last week and a half far more often than not run subpar races but more importantly I can't believe it would not be detrimental to the horse health wise. I mean there have got to be some attractive sprint races for CTTT in Cali I would think or at the very least you coulda found somewhere to stable him in NY until the Carter. I realize I was wrong last week but I'm gonna say it again please do not do this to this horse who has meant so much to you and his fans.
Amy Hurley More than 1 year ago
Miller has said repeatedly that the only reason he sent CTTT East for the Tom Fool was because he's such a big, strong colt who he felt could handle the travel and short rest. I would guess Miller knows his horse best and would not compromise his health for any reason. Also, it's interesting to note that Grand Mere came back on only 3 days rest, after winning a race last Thur., to run 3rd in Sunday's Berue Stakes at the Big A. Dutrow did this frequently with his horses, at least those he felt could handle it. So, the point is, not all horses need the babying that most trainers seem inclined to give them these days, and if you have one who you think will run well off a short rest, why not try it?
Ceil Rock More than 1 year ago
Another factor is that after Santa Anita ends, the races in Cal will be on synthetic until the fall. Also, the owners of this horse want to run their horses - they're likely to pop anywhere. Peter Miller is a very under-rated trainer - but very conscientious of his horses' welfare.
Richard More than 1 year ago
That was a gutsy win but a horse who always lays it on the line. Comma may not be the top sprinter in all the land but he certainly dances all the dances, and something has to be said for that.
Horse 2win More than 1 year ago
The way he came back was visually stunning, especially on 6 days rest and a cross country plane ride, we may have a new sprint champion in the making. Thanks CTTT for a great performance.