12/01/2004 1:00AM

Aqueduct cancels Wednesday


OZONE PARK, N.Y. - Aqueduct canceled Wednesday's card due to forecasted high winds. Wednesday was to be opening day of the inner track.

Aqueduct remained open for simulcasting and rain checks were issued for admission, parking and programs up until 11:35 a.m.

Heavy rains pelted the New York area Wednesday morning and though clearing was expected by mid-afternoon, the forecast called for wind gusts between 40 and 50 miles per hour.

"The forecast is getting worse," said Bill Nader, senior vice president for the New York Racing Association. "The gusts are at 40 miles now they're saying there could be gusts between 40 and 50 miles per hour. We have a carryover, we didn't want to start and stop."

Last Thursday, Aqueduct was forced to cancel after the second race when the jockeys refused to ride citing unsafe track conditions.

Racing is scheduled to resume on Thursday, and there will be a pick-six carryover of $42,623 entering the card.