01/02/2014 12:12PM

Aqueduct cancels Friday card due to winter storm

OZONE PARK, N.Y. – Aqueduct canceled Friday’s nine-race card due to a winter storm that brought six to 10 inches of snow to the metropolitan area late Thursday before tapering off Friday morning. It is the second cancellation of the winter meet.

Also, Aqueduct and Belmont Park were closed for simulcasting on Friday. Wagering on out-of-state tracks was available through NYRA Rewards via online or the telephone.

Live racing is scheduled to resume Saturday with a nine-race card that includes the Grade 2, $200,000 Jerome for 3-year-old males and the $100,000 Busanda Stakes for 3-year-old fillies. First post is 12:25 p.m.

Bob More than 1 year ago
They shouldn't be racing in New York in January, in the first place....come to think of it, they shouldn't be racing horses anywhere in January. I mean seriously, look at Santa Anita's Thursday card....a week into the meet and the five races that make up the Pick 5 wager had a total of 29 horses entered....just like overeating will kill the fat man, over racing is killing the sport!
I agree No racing is better than bad racing
[removed] More than 1 year ago
This comment has been deleted
Bob More than 1 year ago
Get a life!
only if you pay me in bitcoin
wolves More than 1 year ago
Love the switch back to the old fashioned conditions. Good call by Panza. I'm tired of these layoff horses dropping in against NW2L.
Gerald Sabo More than 1 year ago
Shouldn't run horses in this kind of weather, damages their lungs.
ratakabundai . More than 1 year ago
I just want to congratulate leading trainer David Jacobson on his fine work with the late Uncle Smokey...three races in fifteen days...well two and a half anyway.
martymar . More than 1 year ago
that was atrocious, I found out on facebook "In Memory of Our Horses" that the horse broke down was euthanize. I know no action will be taken but that's just not right.
Bob More than 1 year ago
Jacobson is a butcher and there is a reason why he served a TEN YEAR suspension!
Ray Sousa More than 1 year ago
N.Y. racing is putrid they should just close the whole thing...let the jockeys like cornolio velasquez go look for employment where they are not stealing from the public .
Walter More than 1 year ago
Get ready East Coasters, the snow is heavy. I'm in IL and have just dealt with it for the past 2 days. stay safe.
David G. More than 1 year ago
Delta just cancelled. Susan P: did you check the new rebate rates on AMWAGER, it's been posted now
Susan More than 1 year ago
Thank you David. You are the best!
Tammy More than 1 year ago
Delta canceled due to the back up generators for the lights going out again
Mickey More than 1 year ago
Thankfully (as I was going to attend AQU tomorrow) they didn;t wait until 10AM to cancel...this was obviously the smart move (for everyone's sake- horses- nyra workers- fans- etc...)
If they cancel the card, how will the track officials scam the public with fixed toteboard pricing? How will they manipulate the pools? A tragedy this weather.
Bryan Tripoli More than 1 year ago
Quite a claim.. Have any evidence of the fixing of tote prices?
Answer your question: if you had money coming in from the public, and you had full control over what the public sees and acts on, with no one else to see what you are doing... What would you do?
Walter More than 1 year ago
I've heard about this situation many times over the years. It doesn't seem too difficult for the track to do, however, it seems impossible to prove.
Slew32A More than 1 year ago
Seriously, though I don't disagree totally with your skepticism, I would worry more how these jocks conspire, I mean ride in these races.
Ray Sousa More than 1 year ago
could not agree more.ny racing is putrid.
Philip Conforti More than 1 year ago
Why do any of u people play horses if u believe this crap . Your idiots if u know it's fixed and keep playin . Bunch of sore losers and I mean losers . I love horse racing please stop and just don't come and bet . We can do without your $2!