05/15/2012 1:42PM

Animal Kingdom gets green light to resume training at Fair Hill

The hind end stress fracture Animal Kingdom suffered in March has completely healed, according to a Monday bone scan.

ELKTON, Md. – Animal Kingdom, the 2011 Kentucky Derby winner, will begin jogging under tack next week in his Fair Hill training center barn as he attempts a second comeback to the races later this year.

On Monday, Animal Kingdom was vanned from Fair Hill to the New Bolton Center and underwent a bone scan that showed no signs of the injury that forced his connections to cancel a scheduled trip to the $10 million Dubai World Cup in March.

Dr. Dean Richardson reviewed the bone scan and "he couldn’t see any signs of the injury that prevented him from going to Dubai," trainer Graham Motion said Tuesday.

Animal Kingdom was scheduled to return to Motion’s Fair Hill barn Tuesday afternoon and would likely be put under tack starting Monday, Motion said. Animal Kingdom would likely jog for three to four weeks, Motion said.

Motion said that if all goes well, Animal Kingdom could make a return this fall.

"It’s really encouraging," Motion said. We’re right on schedule for what they said."

Animal Kingdom suffered a hind leg fracture in last year’s Belmont Stakes and underwent surgery. He returned to the races in February with a solid allowance win on turf at Gulfstream that was to be his prep for the Dubai World Cup over the synthetic surface at Meydan on March 31.

However, Animal Kingdom came out of a March 10 workout with a hind end stress fracture that forced him to miss that race.

Bacarra Pettis More than 1 year ago
Best wishes to Graham Motion and all connections. i love you Animal Kingdom!
Monty Fisher More than 1 year ago
Could we possibly see A.K. in November in a Breeders Cup race ? Sure hope so !
Harold Moore More than 1 year ago
animal kingdom has sure taken along time to recover,but you know he is a great horse and deserves the care @attention he gets.how many horses WIN the derby?
mrm More than 1 year ago
Might as well race him because his pedigree doesn't scream commercial success.
julien richards More than 1 year ago
Well Mr Rob Beaudoin, I am indeed a real Race fan and I an sorry for not quantifying my crude remark to retire AK. AS you well know race horses are being retired very early after their three year mark and especially if there are any success to them.It is nor secret that AK would bring in tons in the breeding shed and so I am torn in my regard to the Horse who keeps getting injured and my disdain for owners who will always look to pleasing their syndicates and not in the best interest of the animal.
Big Brown More than 1 year ago
Animal kingdom annoys me too, Don't why either, I'm counting him out to hit the board on debut unless he race againt allowance!! I still like shackleford to kick him ass in a rematch..
Harvey Savitsky More than 1 year ago
can you please edit your comments to make them understandable!!!?? Sr. Big Brown!
Monty Fisher More than 1 year ago
Shackelford, now there is a good, strong consistant horse, gotta like him !
Big Brown More than 1 year ago
Don't run him, sent Animal kingdom to stud farm, remember barbaro?
Eric Singer More than 1 year ago
I think this year's bunch of 3 year old's is underrated - although lacking monster figs - it's a deep group and the horses peaking now may not be the best come the fall. As for Animal Kingdom - when right, he has a very exciting turn of foot on any surface.
MaryAnn Donahue More than 1 year ago
Best wishes on a successful return to racing for Animal Kingdom. I will look forward to seeing him run again, win again.
Bwell More than 1 year ago
Yawn, this horse annoys me. I don't know why. he just does.
ctgreyhound More than 1 year ago
Animal Kingdom finds you annoying as well. He doesn't know why, but then he's just a horse.....
tom More than 1 year ago
this horse has more promise and talent than any of the 3 yr olds this year. Hence, Irwin and Motion keeping him out of the stud shed. They must realize that he has the potential to be a superstar. After the pathetic performances by American horse this year in Dubai, I would be elated if Animal Kingdom stayed healthy and tackled the competition across the pond. His incredible late speed and love for the synthetic and dirt tracks should suit him perfectly for the all weather surface at Meydan.