09/03/2014 8:46PM

American Pharoah dominates Del Mar Futurity

Benoit and Associates
American Pharoah gives trainer Bob Baffert a record 12th win in the Del Mar Futurity on Wednesday.

DEL MAR, Calif. – This wasn’t the Del Mar meet trainer Bob Baffert was used to having. He started slowly and never was in contention for leading trainer. But there is one thing Baffert seemingly has down pat here, and that’s winning the Del Mar Futurity.

For a record 12th time, all since 1996, Baffert won the Grade 1, $301,000 Futurity, this time with American Pharoah, who disappointed in his lone prior start but more than made up for it on closing day Wednesday with an overpowering, 4 3/4-length victory.

Calculator, a 15-1 shot, finished a clear second, no match for the winner but 8 1/4 lengths in front of third-place Iron Fist, who caught 2-1 favorite Skyway in the closing yards.

Henry’s Holiday was fifth and was followed by Red Button, Oh Newman, Inexcess Time, and Holiday Camp.

American Pharoah ($8.40), with Victor Espinoza up, broke well from the inside post, got to the lead quickly, and never looked back. He set fractions of 22.72 seconds, 45.23, and 1:08.95 en route to a final time of 1:21.48 for seven furlongs on Polytrack.

The first three finishers all were winless coming into the race but were exiting the fastest 2-year-old race of the meet, a maiden race Aug. 9 that was won by Om, who had to miss the Futurity with a minor injury. American Pharoah had finished fifth as the favorite in that race, his debut, but came back to work as well as he had going into the race, so his connections – Baffert and the Zayat Stables of Ahmed Zayat – kept the faith.

“He acted up that day, was rank coming out of the paddock, and ran off,” Baffert said by telephone. “We took the blinkers off, and I put cotton in his ears, and he came back and worked really, really nice. We decided to take a shot at it. I haven’t done it much, but this is the first time I’ve won a race putting cotton in a horse’s ears.”

Baffert was not at the race. He had gone back to his home in the Los Angeles area on Monday and let assistant Jim Barnes handle chores here.

“I told Victor in the paddock that the rail was golden today – just break and bounce out of there,” Barnes said.

American Pharoah is a son of the red-hot stallion Pioneerof the Nile, who raced for Baffert and Zayat. Zayat bred American Pharoah, who is out of the Yankee Gentleman mare Littleprincessemma.

tommy More than 1 year ago
Amazing final time! That's how you knew he was a special horse!
Skip Olson More than 1 year ago
Anyone know why his tail is so short?
Michael More than 1 year ago
not sure skip, don't quarter horses sometimes have short tails? All I know, is this bay ridgling is fast, fast, fast. Hey, Funny Cide was a ridgling, so maybe........... He's got a very nice pedigree that's for sure.
Fay Fisher More than 1 year ago
Funny Cide was a gelding.
Maya Joffe More than 1 year ago
Mr Z supposedly chewed a good amount of it off...
Boyd Cord More than 1 year ago
12th time since 1996. good stat. stay alive Bob
grayposse More than 1 year ago
Has was one of 2 horses that plunged in odds with 1 minute to post. He went from 7/1 to 3/1. The other was Daddy DT who went from 9/2 to 5/2. You can't handicap that.
grayposse More than 1 year ago
BOTH WON.
Carl Cuminale More than 1 year ago
Should we have a new item on the pp's, cotton in/cotton out?
Michael More than 1 year ago
that's pretty funny Carl C
Michael More than 1 year ago
I have to eat some crow here, I thought Henry's Holiday would beat this field. I was watching the odds board pretty close and #1 was around hovering around 7-1 for a while and then right before the race went-off, he dropped to 3-1, somebody dropped a bundle on him near the start of the race., they must have really cleaned-up. I wished just once, I would get a good tip and be able to do that . This will now be on my bucket list. :)
grayposse More than 1 year ago
I caught the massive drop on Daddy DT, 8/1 ML and went from 9/2 to 5/2 in a blink of an eye. Had to bet him when I saw that. That takes a pretty good chunk of change with 1 minute to post to drop the odds that much. I
Dee R. Eff More than 1 year ago
Baffert went back home and let Barnes handle the chores? Barnes handles all the chores even when Baffert is there. And instead of chores I think you mean training.
Walter More than 1 year ago
I wonder how much the rail trip helped this horse today? It was certainly the place to be over the last few days of racing at Dmr.
mike More than 1 year ago
Let's see how long it takes for Baffert to ruin this one.
Scot Morley More than 1 year ago
Can't believe this Maiden, destroyed the field. I was sure Baffert, was not going to win this year.