02/25/2013 1:11PM

Albertine, dam of Arcangues, dies at age 32

Three Chimneys Farm
Albertine, dam of 1993 Breeders' Cup Classic winner Arcangues, died on Feb. 3 at age 32.

Albertine, the dam of 1993 Breeders Cup Classic upset winner Arcangues, died from the infirmities of old age on Feb. 3 at Three Chimneys Farm in Midway, Ky.

The 32-year-old Irish River mare was the farm’s oldest resident. She was buried in the farm’s broodmare cemetery next to fellow Breeders’ Cup producer Golden Cat, dam of Breeders’ Cup Juvenile winner Pounced.

Bred in France by Dayton Limited, Albertine was out of the stakes-winning Wild Risk mare Almyre, and was a half-sister to French champion Ashmore and Group 3 winners Acoma and Art Bleu.   

Albertine was a Group 2-placed winner in France before shipping out in 1984 to test the waters in North America for owner Daniel Wildenstein. She retired after one season of racing with two wins in seven starts for earnings of $36,878.

Her first of 17 foals arrived in 1986, with 15 eventually going on to race and ten becoming winners. Arcangues, by Sagace, was the mare’s third foal. He produced the most lucrative upset in Breeders’ Cup history at Santa Anita, winning the race at odds of 133.60-to-1 running under Wildenstein’s colors. Overall, Arcangues won six of 19 races—including three group stakes in France and the Grade 2 John Henry Handicap on turf in the U.S.—for earnings of $1,981,423.

“As a recent member of the Breeders’ Cup board, I can’t emphasize enough the magnitude of winning a Breeders’ Cup Classic,” Wildenstein said. “It is truly one of the greatest accomplishments that a Thoroughbred owner and breeder can hope to achieve. Albertine holds a special place among the best mares my grandfather ever bred, and she is honored today by a wonderful legacy.”

Other successful runners produced by Albertine include Group 3 winner Agathe and stakes winner Alamo Bay. She is also the granddam of champion Cape Verdi and multiple Group 1 winner Aquarelliste.

Albertine was retired from breeding in 2006 and remained at Three Chimneys for the rest of her life.