01/06/2006 12:00AM

Agent still fighting ban by NYRA

Email

Tony Stabile, a jockey agent who has been barred from the grounds of New York Racing Association tracks since June for allegedly having an altercation with a federal official, will seek to have his credentials reinstated by a Nassau County Supreme Court judge next week. A hearing is scheduled for Thursday.

Stabile was barred by NYRA after getting into an argument on the Belmont Park backstretch with an official from Getnick and Getnick, the federal-court appointed monitor that oversaw NYRA's operations in 2004 and 2005 while the association was under federal indictment for fraud. That indictment was subsequently dismissed.

Stabile, who is being represented by attorney John Esposito, admits to having been involved in the verbal altercation, but claims he was denied due process during a hearing on the matter held on June 23. The hearing was held before NYRA's Barn Area Violations Panel, which consisted of Ken Cook, NYRA's director of security, then-NYRA steward Dave Hicks, and Bob Flynn, executive director of the New York Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association. That trio revoked Stabile's credentials. Stabile's appeal of that ruling was denied in September.

Though the altercation happened last February, Stabile was not ruled off until June. Esposito believes that Stabile was not given a fair opportunity to present his case at his hearing.

"From what I can tell it was a predetermined outcome," Espo-sito said.

Stabile was working as an agent for jockey Eriluis Vaz last year, though Vaz was on the verge of leaving New York during the summer. Stabile said he had the chance to pick up another rider or work as an assistant trainer for Ernie Paragallo's Paraneck Stable. Paragallo confirmed that he had offered Stabile a salaried position.

NYRA officials declined comment.

"We've been served with papers. I can't discuss this case," Cook said.