10/29/2003 12:00AM

Accused teller no longer employed

Email

A mutuel teller at Rockingham Park who is accused of betting a race at Belmont Park after it had already been run no longer works at the track, according to New Hampshire racing officials, who said it is not clear whether he will face criminal charges.

The teller was being investigated for placing winning wagers on the 10th race at Belmont Park on Sept. 20 after a computer malfunction failed to stop betting. Ed Callahan, the general manager of Rockingham, declined to comment on the employee's status on Wednesday other than to say that "appropriate disciplinary action" had been taken. However, Paul Kelley, the director of the New Hampshire Racing Commission, said the teller was no longer employed by Rockingham.

Callahan did say Rockingham investigators had determined that the mutuel teller placed the bets after the race was over. He said the track planned to forward a report to the racing commission this week in advance of a Sunday commission meeting.

Kelley said that he would ask commissioners at the Sunday meeting to determine how to proceed with the investigation's results.

"The commission could tell me to close the investigation; they could tell me to forward the results to the attorney general's office; and they could tell me that they aren't happy with the results and I should keep going," Kelley said.

Kelley said his office has no authority to pursue criminal charges against the teller. Any criminal action would have to come from the attorney general's office, Kelley said.

As for pursuing criminal charges, Callahan said, "I don't believe that we are, but that could change."

The Sept. 20 incident impacted more than two dozen tracks in the United States. A computer malfunction in the bet-processing network run by Scientific Games Racing, the former Autotote Corp., allowed mutuel machines to remain open well after the 10th race on Sept. 20 at Belmont Park had started.

In New Jersey, an investigation into past-posting at state betting locations after the Sept. 20 breakdown is still ongoing, according to Mike Vukcevich, the deputy director of the commission. Vukcevich said that the investigation has so far turned up past-posted bets by four individuals, two at Freehold Raceway and two at The Meadowlands. None of the bets were honored, Vukcevich said.

One of the Freehold bettors placed a $30 cold trifecta after the race was run, as well as several win bets, Vukcevich said. That bettor was barred from the track by Freehold management after he attempted to cash the ticket.

The Sept. 20 incident was followed by a similar malfunction, also in a system run by Scientific Games, at Nassau and Suffolk County OTB Corps. in New York on the night of Oct. 15. The malfunction failed to stop betting on harness races from five tracks at all of the companies' OTB outlets on Long Island. The past-posted bets were not transmitted into the mutuel pools, according to New York investigators.

The investigations into both breakdowns are ongoing, according to Stacy Clifford, a spokeswoman for the New York State Racing and Wagering Board.