- DRF Bets
- Handicapping & PPsThoroughbred Past Performances
ReportsPremium NewsDigital PapersHorsemen's Products
- DRF Classic PDF PPs
- DRF Formulator PPs
- TimeformUS PPs
- DRF EasyForm PPs
- Daily Racing Program PPs
- Equibase PPs
- TrackMaster PPs
- Using Timeform Ratings
- NewsCategoriesTrack Notes
- Learn to Play
- History of Horseracing
- How to read PPs
- How to use EasyForm
- How to use Formulator
- How to use TicketMaker
- Beyer Speed Figures
- Moss Pace Figures
- Using Race Shape Symbols
- Using Timeform Ratings
- BreezeFigs Handicapping
- Wagering and Winning
- Harness Night School
- Point of Call Index
- 3-Year Best Time Chart
- DRF TV
- StorePast Performances
- Compare all DRF PPs
- DRF Formulator PPs
- DRF Classic PPs
- DRF EasyForm PPs
- Daily Racing Program PPs
- TimeformUS PPs
- Equibase & Trackmaster PPs - Thoroughbred
Two sprinters to follow
*As many of you have noticed, the "BLOG" tab on the home page has been removed. You can find this blog every week (usually published on Wednesday or Thursday) at drf.com/blogs or by going to the "NEWS" tab and clicking on the "Blogs" link.
*PURE SENSATION is in career form right now and must be considered one of the top turf sprinters in the country. After motoring to a gate-to-wire victory in the 6-furlong, Grade 3 Jaipur Stakes on the Belmont Stakes undercard, the Christophe Clement-trained gray gelding went right back to work in last Saturday's Grade 3 Parx Dash at five panels over yielding turf.
Pure Sensation showcased his usual early zip and outsprinted the speedy ROCKET HEAT to the front after an opening quarter of 22.50. Rocket Heat, winner of the Grade 3 Turf Sprint at Churchill Downs on Kentucky Derby afternoon, soon cracked, and Pure Sensation was on his way. Graded winners POWER ALERT and the venerable 10-year-old BEN'S CAT took up the chase, but Pure Sensation had too much of a head start. He streaked across the finish line 2 1/4 lengths better than Power Alert and completed the distance in 57.35 seconds. Pure Sensation received a 103 Beyer Speed Figure.
In seven turf sprints, Pure Sensation boasts a record of 5-0-0 with four stakes wins, three graded, on his record. Considering his pedigree, it's no surprise that he excels in these shorter-distance events. Pure Sensation's sire, Zensational, grabbed three Grade 1 sprints over synthetic surfaces in 2009. The dam, Pure Disco, captured six stakes races in New Jersey.
Pure Sensation also isn't strictly a frontrunner. In his turf debut, the $100,000 Quick Call Stakes during the summer of 2014 at Saratoga, Pure Sensation rallied from midpack. It's likely we'll see him next at Saratoga as he continues his march to the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint.
*Moving to the dirt, Bob Baffert's POWER JAM showed a great deal of promise when breaking the traack record in an entry-level optional claimer last Sunday at Santa Anita. A gray ridgeling by Concord Point, Power Jam went right to the lead under Stewart Elliott, put up fractions of 21.60 and 44.14 while chased by ROCKET FUEL and kept right on going. Power Jam's final time of 1:01.71 for the 5 1/2-furlong distance was good enough for a 103 Beyer.
Power Jam, a 4-year-old by Baffert's West Virginia Derby winner Concord Point, made his career debut on Valentine's Day 2015 at Santa Anita. He won impressively at six furlongs as the 2 to 5 favorite, prompting Baffert to tell track publicity that Power Jam is simply "a really fast horse."
Some physical problems kept Power Jam from realizing his potential at three. He only raced once more that season, finishing second by a nose as the 3 to 5 chalk against entry-level optional claiming rivals traveling 6 1/2 furlongs at Del Mar on November 8. After that race, Power Jam again went to the sidelines and wasn't seen until last Sunday.
The questions surrounding Power Jam's future do not concern ability. Clearly, he has that in spades. It's whether Baffert can keep him sound enough to complete a lengthy campaign. Expect to see Power Jam at Del Mar, if he's right.
*Video stakes previews for many of the weekend's major stakes will be available later this week at http://www.drf.com/videos
*Mike Beer and I will be on for free and fun live handicapping analysis at 4:00 ET on Saturday. You can find us at live.drf.com. This week, we'll cover racing from Belmont, Del Mar, Delaware, Woodbine and Indiana Gr
*You can follow me on Twitter @DRF_DanIllman.
*Here are the top 25 WINNING Beyer Speed Figures from 7/6/16 - 7/12/16:
1. MASOCHISTIC - 107 - OC 75k/C -N - 6 1/2 Furlongs - 8Jul16-7SA
2. EFFINEX - 104 - Suburban Handicap (G2) - 1 1/4 Miles - 9Jul16-9BEL
3. POWER JAM - 103 - OC 40k/N1X -N - 5 1/2 Furlongs - 10Jul16-9SA
3. PURE SENSATION - 103 - Parx Dash (G3) - 5 Furlongs (Turf) - 9Jul16-8PRX
5. A. P. INDIAN - 102 - Belmont Sprint Championship (G3) - 7 Furlongs - 9Jul16-11BEL
6. CATCH A GLIMPSE - 100 - Belmont Oaks Invitational (G1) - 1 1/4 Miles (Turf) - 9Jul16-10BEL
7. CONQUEST COBRA - 99 - OC 62k/N2X - 1 Mile - 9Jul16-4SA
8. CRACKERJACK JONES - 98 - Alw 26614NC - 6 Furlongs - 6Jul16-8FL
8. TWILIGHT ECLIPSE - 98 - Alw 88200N$Y - 1 3/8 Miles (Turf) - 8Jul16-1BEL
8. WAKE UP IN MALIBU - 98 - Saginaw Stakes - 1 1/16 Miles - 8Jul16-3BEL
11. FISH TRAPPE ROAD - 97 - Dwyer Stakes (G3) - 1 Mile - 9Jul16-7BEL
11. KASAQUI (ARG) - 97 - Arlington Handicap (G3) - 1 3/16 Miles (Turf) - 9Jul16-7AP
11. SONGSATIONAL - 97 - OC 62k/N2X -N - 7 Furlongs (Turf) - 9Jul16-5BEL
14. TROUBLE KID - 95 - OC 40k/N3X -N - 6 Furlongs - 12Jul16-9PRX
14. WAY STRIKING - 95 - Alw 30000N1X - 1 1/16 Miles - 10Jul16-9CBY
16. DEAUVILLE (IRE) - 94 - Belmont Derby Invitational (G1) - 1 1/4 Miles (Turf) - 9Jul16-8BEL
16. GREENGRASSOFYOMING - 94 - Stars N Stripes (G3) - 1 1/2 Miles (Turf) - 9Jul16-6AP
16. TALE OF FANCY - 94 - OC 62k/N2X -N - 1 1/4 Miles (Turf) - 10Jul16-8BEL
19. CONNEMARA COAST - 93 - OC 40k/N3X - 1 Mile - 10Jul16-8LRL
19. GHOST HUNTER - 93 - OC 40k/N3X - 1 1/16 Miles (Turf) - 10Jul16-7LRL
19. GUAPAZA (CHI) - 93 - River Memories Stakes - 1 1/2 Miles (Turf) - 10Jul16-3BEL
19. JIMBO FALLON - 93 - Alw 90000N1X - 7 Furlongs - 9Jul16-3BEL
19. PROMISE ME SILVER - 93 - Valor Farm Stakes - 6 Furlongs - 9Jul16-6LS
19. UNSINKABLE (IRE) - 93 - Alw 25000C - 1 1/2 Miles (Turf) - 10Jul16-1PRX
25. FAUFILER (IRE) - 92 - Modesty Handicap (G3) - 1 3/16 Miles (Turf) - 9Jul16-4AP
25. FINAL CHAPTER - 92 - Alw 77000N1X - 1 Mile (Turf) - 10Jul16-6BEL
25. KEEPTHEDREAMALIVE - 92 - Alw 77000N1X - 1 Mile (Turf) - 10Jul16-6BEL
25. REAL SMART - 92 - Robert G. Dick Memorial Stakes (G3) - 1 3/8 Miles (Turf) - 9Jul16-7DEL
*Masochistic's lifetime past performances are available at the bottom of the blog post.
*Congrats to Rick for winning last week's HandiGambling challenge.
Rick M and SR VEGAS' HG scoreboard spreadsheet is available at the bottom of this blog post.
Let's go with Saturday's Yellow Ribbon from Del Mar for this week's exercise.
SR Vegas and Rick M. have graciously decided to update all of the HG rules in order to make them an easier read for everyone...
HANDIGAMBLING version 2016:
Let's remember WHY we began the HandiGambling races in the first place.
The goal was to share ideas on why we like these horses and why we're betting them the way we are. We are not asking for a novel but SPARE A SENTENCE OR TWO outlining your HANDICAPPING ANGLES and/or THOUGHT PROCESSES about WAGERING.
1. Start your post with HG or HANDIGAMBLING to find your entry in a thread.
2. You have a mythical $100 to wager in whatever format you choose that is available for that HG race. Anyone going over the $100 limit will be DISQUALIFIED.
3. Post your WAGER and ANALYSIS to the blog prior to the start of the designated race. SIGN OFF WITH YOUR NAME/OR MONIKER AT THE END OF YOUR POST. Remember that posts may start as 'anonymous' or an 'alternate name'. You MUST SIGN YOURSELF AT THE END (even if it is the same) This enables the scorekeeper to identify who you are.
4. (1) ONE ENTRY per person for the Handigambling contest. If you have multiple email addresses, use just ONE for contest purposes. Multiple entries will be cause for disqualification.
5. Separate your analysis from the wager and use the PROGRAM # in your wager. Just like you would do in a real wager. No horse names.
6. If any of the rules listed above aren't met, the wager is subject to review which can lead to disqualification of your entry.
In the event of a tie, the earliest post gets first preference. Dan reserves the right to approve or deny any entries.
The winner will receive a "60-Card Quarterly Formulator Past Performance Plan"
As an example :
The speed in this race are #1 Alpha, #2 Beta, and #8 Ocho. I like the works for layoff horse #5 Cinco who can sit off the pace. Lots of speed in here, so this could set up for a closer like #6 Six Flags and I like the trainer's stats in these conditions. I’ll put the closer over the speed.
$10 EX 6 / 1,2,5, 8 = $40
$5 TRI 6 / 1,2,5,8 / 1,2,5,8 = $60
A MORE DETAILED ANALYSIS IS ALWAYS APPRECIATED !
REMEMBER, IF YOU ARE DECLARED THE WINNER OF THE HANDIGAMBLING EXERCISE; PLEASE CONTACT FORMBLOG@DRF.COM WITH YOUR DRF LOGIN AND PASSWORD IN ORDER TO ACCESS YOUR PRIZE PACKAGE.
ALSO, IF THE WINNER WOULD LIKE TO SELECT THE FOLLOWING WEEK'S RACE, PLEASE CONTACT FORMBLOG@DRF.COM NO LATER THAN THE FOLLOWING WEDNESDAY MORNING (A SATURDAY RACE IS MOST IDEAL)
|Copy of HG 7 9 16 Belmont Derby Inv.xls||55 KB|
David M, Found a few details about the race. Low key 5f 2yo maiden stakes, on the all weather surface at Wolverhampton. One previous race Dandy Flame had, was also a 5f maiden at Wolver...finished last of 8. SP was 100/1. This time DF opened at 150/1....started at 200/1 & bolted in. There were 9 runners...fave was 6/4...not machines, you just never know !
Pick 5. Leg 1 should be 4,5,6.
Del Mar. Wednesday.
50 cent pick 5. $108 × 5 tickets
5,6,7 // 1,3,4 // 1,3 // 2,3,4 // 1,2,6,8
Hate to miss that Zito horse at 12-1....ARGH........
Late Pick 4. Spa. $75 x 5 tickets.
R7. 1,7,9,11,12 / 1,2 / 1,4,6 / 2,5,6,8,11
DavidM with lots of nines
Enjoy your first time trip to Del Mar . Hope it will be memorable :)
Friday Saratoga race #9 $100K Curlin Stakes 1 1/8 m
GIFT BOX - SR Vegas
MAJESTO - Jeanne
SWIPE - TBTA
DOLPHUS - Dominic
Good Luck !
Looking to get back on track today....Spa Wednesday. Wish I was there.
50 cent pick 5. Starts R2. $36 × 10 tickets.
5,6,7,8,// 3,5,8 // 6 // 1,2,5 // 4,5
$300 Win // $600 Place
Good luck all!!!
Off to Del Mar tomorrow. Hopefully I can bring a few in. Gambling on horses is tough so I am packing rosaries and holy water as you cannot leave anything to chance. The greatest horse in America runs this weekend - Beholder. I am looking forward to seeing her do what she does...win.
Rodney - that 200-1 shot. How many horses in the field? How bad was the form? I love an occasional moon shot. What did it pay to place?
Everyone have a wonderful Wednesday!
Jack Kerouac? Now that is one I'd never thought . HA!
I've always associated my 'on the Road Again' trips more to Willie Nelson' s thematic song :)
Good Luck at Glorious Goodwood !
*** A heads up to Formblog NHC tournament players ***.
Saturday 7/30 is a FREE online Qualifier with 4 NHC seats up for grabs. An 'ALL IN' format , which is short for making all your picks before the designated time :)
Registration is now open. Details at :
RAH and I will be on the road, but will be playing. Good Luck !
My MKB SMOKEY IMAGE has been working nicely and I am hopeful of his chances with the cut back .
Race #7 is also the Del Mar contest race of the day, GO SMOKEY GO !
Lets get back to your winning ways :)