- DRF Bets
- Handicapping & PPsThoroughbred Past Performances
ReportsPremium NewsDigital PapersHorsemen's Products
- DRF Classic PDF PPs
- DRF Formulator PPs
- TimeformUS PPs
- DRF EasyForm PPs
- Daily Racing Program PPs
- Equibase PPs
- TrackMaster PPs
- Using Timeform Ratings
- NewsCategoriesTrack Notes
- Learn to Play
- History of Horseracing
- How to read PPs
- How to use EasyForm
- How to use Formulator
- How to use TicketMaker
- Beyer Speed Figures
- Moss Pace Figures
- Using Race Shape Symbols
- Using Timeform Ratings
- BreezeFigs Handicapping
- Wagering and Winning
- Harness Night School
- Point of Call Index
- 3-Year Best Time Chart
- DRF TV
- StorePast Performances
- Compare all DRF PPs
- DRF Formulator PPs
- DRF Classic PPs
- TimeformUS PPs
- DRF EasyForm PPs
- Daily Racing Program PPs
- Equibase & Trackmaster PPs - Thoroughbred
Qaraaba, Revolutionary, Indiano, Tweebster
QARAABA looks like a mare to watch in the early portion of 2013.
The talented daughter of Shamardal took her second start since being imported from England with a last-to-first flourish in the Grade 3 Robert J. Frankel Stakes at Santa Anita on December 30. A useful handicapper overseas, Qaraaba has been extremely impressive in both stateside appearances for trainer Simon Callaghan.
In an 'n2x' optional claimer at Betfair Hollywood Park on November 15, Qaraaba broke slowly and was last along the inside as the field swung into the stretch. Qaraaba altered course to the far outside in upper stretch and mowed down the field under mild urging from Julien Leparoux.
In the Frankel, Qaraaba again broke slowly and was last off a moderate pace over "good" going. Qaraaba crept up to the leaders on the final bend, split horses at the quarter pole, eased to the outside and ran down a game TIZ FLIRTATIOUS with a fleet final three furlongs in 34.40.
Callaghan mentioned the Grade 2 Santa Ana on March 24 as a possible next start with races like the Gamely and Beverly D. as long-term goals.
*It took four tries, but REVOLUTIONARY, a son of juvenile champion War Pass, won his maiden in style in his initial start around two turns on December 28. Trained by Todd Pletcher, Revolutionary scored by 8 1/2 lengths over "good" going and received a 102 Beyer, the highest figure earned by a juvenile going a route in 2012. An $80,000 yearling that resold to WinStar Farm for $235,000 in March, Revolutionary is a half-brother to Grade 2-placed routers Tafaseel and Ice Road. His dam, Runup the Colors (by A.P. Indy), won the Grade 1 Alabama Stakes.
*Nice training job by Marty Wolfson with INDIANO, who pulled off a mild upset of ACTION ANDY in the Grade 3 Mr. Prospector Stakes at Gulfstream on December 29. Indiano entered the Mr. Prospector after finishing a non-threatening second to Action Andy in the $58,000 Pelican Stakes at Tampa Bay on December 8. That race was Indiano's first start following a four-month freshening and had the look of a good prep. With that race under his belt, Indiano seemed tighter for the Mr. Prospector and he dug down late to get up in the final sixteenth.
*It may be time for Wolfson to admit that GOLDEN MYSTERY doesn't want any part of a mile, however. Sent off the 4/5 favorite in a four-horse edition of the $95,000 Ocala Stakes for Florida-breds at Gulfstream on December 30, Golden Mystery made an easy early lead only to succumb in the stretch to SUCCESSFUL SONG after slogging home his final quarter in 25.95. Golden Mystery is now 0-3 in routes, but is certainly capable of winning some good pots going shorter.
*How far will JIMMY CREED go? The winner of the Grade 1 Malibu Stakes at seven furlongs is slated to compete in the Strub Stakes at 1 1/8 miles on February 2. If he does well there, trainer Richard Mandella may go for the big bucks in the Grade 1 Santa Anita Handicap at 1 1/4 miles. A half-brother to three-time Grade 1 sprint winner Pussycat Doll by Distorted Humor, Jimmy Creed is out of Grade 1 sprint winner Hookedonthefeelin. Jimmy Creed was narrowly beaten in his only prior route start, a race in which he seemingly had the returning FED BIZ at his mercy in upper stretch. He may be at his best going seven panels.
*Sad to hear about the death of the multiple Grade 2-placed TWEEBSTER following a fifth-place finish in a $12,500 claimer at Santa Anita on December 30. Responding to some criticism from social media platforms, trainer Bob Baffert issued the following statement through Santa Anita:
"We all know racing is a sport of extreme highs and lows, and there is nothing lower than the death of a horse. When the public's perception is that you are somehow responsible it makes the pain all the greater. Not only am I distressed over the death of this tough, gallant horse, I am deeply troubled by the comments on social media. They insinuate Tweebster's death was a result of my dropping him down for a $12,500 claiming tag, suggesting the horse was unsound and I was merely trying to get rid of him.
I respect and fully appreciate the sensitivity regarding the well being of animals, so I feel I owe it to everyone to explain the events that led to Tweebster's injury and subsequent death.
As is required, Tweebster was thoroughly examined by the state veterinarian yesterday morning and found to be perfectly sound going into the race. The decision to run him in this particular race was not based on a lack of soundness, but rather a lack of races available for him at higher claiming prices. Tweebster was healthy and happy. I felt he was in need of a confidence booster and thought this would be an easy spot for him to get it. I understand a severe drop in class can indicate a horse is unsound, but I assure you that was not the case with Tweebster. Just before the race, heavy rain and hail poured down, making the track more muddy and heavier. The horse was moving great and his jockey says he felt comfortable throughout the race. It wasn't until after the finish that Martin felt him take a bad step. We brought him back to the barn in hopes of saving him, but knew quickly that wasn't going to be the case.
I have run horses at lower levels in the past and seen them regain their old form by getting their confidence back. Sometimes I have had the horses claimed from me in the process and they have gone on to win stakes and allowance races for other owners and trainers. I realize that is part of the claiming game.
The death of any horse on the racetrack is hard to accept. When that horse is one who you saw and took care of everyday, the pain is physically gut wrenching . While I realize some people are going to think what they want, I want to express my feelings and deepest regret over the loss of a horse for whom I had a great deal of affection."
Here are the top 25 WINNING Beyer Speed Figures (12/24/12 - 12/30/12):
1. JIMMY CREED - 105 - Malibu Stakes (G1) - 7 Furlongs - Santa Anita
2. IL VILLANO - 102 - Dave's Friend Stakes - 6 Furlongs - Laurel
2. REVOLUTIONARY - 102 - Md Sp Wt 67k - 1 Mile - Aqueduct
4. SARATOGA SNACKS - 99 - Alex M. Robb Stakes - 1 1/16 Miles - Aqueduct
5. INDIANO - 98 - Mr. Prospector Stakes (G3) - 6 Furlongs - Gulfstream
5. STATIC KILL - 98 - Clm 20000(25-20) - 6 Furlongs - Hawthorne
7. COMMA TO THE TOP - 96 - Daytona Stakes - 6 1/2 Furlongs - Santa Anita
7. SUCCESSFUL SONG - 96 - Ocala Stakes - 1 Mile - Gulfstream
7. SWAGGER JACK - 96 - OC 62k/N2X -N - 1 Mile - Gulfstream
7. TRIBAL JEWEL - 96 - Alw 73714N1X - 1 Mile - Santa Anita
11. SCORPION WARRIOR - 95 - Md Sp Wt 57k - 6 Furlongs - Santa Anita
11. TEDDY'S PROMISE - 95 - Kalookan Queen Stakes - 6 1/2 Furlongs - Santa Anita
13. BROOKLYN COWBOY - 94 - Clm c-7500N3L - 5 Furlongs - Parx
13. MYLUTE - 94 - OC 50k/N1X -N - 1 Mile 70 Yards - Fair Grounds
13. SERVICE FOR TEN - 94 - OC 25k/N2X -N - 1 1/16 Miles - Laurel
13. SISTERLY LOVE - 94 - OC 62k/N2X -N - 1 Mile - Gulfstream
17. DISTINCTIV PASSION - 93 - Alw 58250N1X - 6 Furlongs - Santa Anita
17. GHOST IS CLEAR - 93 - OC 40k/N2X -N - 5 1/2 Furlongs - Fair Grounds
17. KINGSFORD DRIVE - 93 - Clm 30000(30-25)N3L - 6 Furlongs - Fair Grounds
17. QARAABA (GB) - 93 - Robert J. Frankel Stakes (G3) - 1 1/8 Miles (Turf) - Santa Anita
21. ALWAYSACONTEST - 92 - Alw 7500s - 6 Furlongs - Laurel
21. MY MY MY MARIA - 92 - OC 40k/N2X - 5 1/2 Furlongs - Fair Grounds
21. SAFETY ZONE - 92 - Clm 25000(25-20) - 1 1/16 Miles (Turf) - Gulfstream
24. AWESOME SYMMETRY - 91 - OC 35k/N$Y - 6 1/2 Furlongs - Hawthorne
24. BOX OFFICE - 91 - OC50k/SAL50k - 1 Mile 70 Yards - Aqueduct
24. BROTHER PAT - 91 - Hcp 25000s - 1 1/8 Miles (Turf) - Gulfstream
24. CIGAR STREET - 91 - OC 25k/N1X -N - 1 1/16 Miles - Gulfstream
24. RED HOT QUEST - 91 - OC 18k/N1X -N - 7 1/2 Furlongs (Turf) - Retama
24. RUNS WITH BULLS - 91 - Clm 10000N2L - 6 Furlongs - Hawthorne
*Jimmy Creed's lifetime past performances are available at the bottom of this blog post.
*Brooklyn Cowboy was claimed for $7,500 by trainer Michael Pino from trainer Scott Lake.
For those of you that believe it's never too early to look at Kentucky Derby prospects, here are the top 25 WINNING Beyer Speed Figures for juveniles in main track routes (2012).
1. REVOLUTIONARY - 102 - Md Sp Wt 67k - 1 Mile - Aqueduct (T. Pletcher)
2. OVERANALYZE - 99 - Remsen Stakes (G2) - 1 1/8 Miles - Aqueduct (T. Pletcher)
3. BEHOLDER (F) - 95 - Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies (G1) - 1 1/16 Miles - Santa Anita (R. Mandella)
4. DELHOMME - 94 - Md Sp Wt 73k - 1 Mile - Belmont (T. Pletcher)
4. SHANGHAI BOBBY - 94 - Champagne Stakes (G1) - 1 Mile - Belmont (T. Pletcher)
4. MYLUTE - 94 - OC 50k/N1X -N - 1 Mile 70 Yards - Fair Grounds (T. Amoss)
7. TIZRACER - 92 - Md Sp Wt 71k - 1 Mile - Belmont (T. Pletcher)
7. VIOLENCE - 92 - CashCall Futurity (G1) - 1 1/16 Miles (Cushion Track) - Betfair Hollywood (T. Pletcher)
9. AVIE'S QUALITY - 91 - Display Stakes - 1 1/16 Miles (Polytrack) - Woodbine (J. Carroll)
9. FRAC DADDY - 91 - Md Sp Wt 50k - 1 1/16 Miles - Churchill (K. McPeek)
9. UNCAPTURED - 91 - Iroquois Stakes (G3) - 1 Mile - Churchill (M. Casse)
12. DREAMING OF JULIA (F) - 90 - Meadow Star Stakes - 1 Mile - Belmont (T. Pletcher)
12. POWER BROKER - 90 - FrontRunner Stakes (G1) - 1 1/16 Miles - Santa Anita (B. Baffert)
12. SPEAK LOGISTICS - 90 - Florida Stallion In Reality Stakes - 1 1/16 Miles - Calder (E. Plesa Jr.)
12. TITLE CONTENDER - 90 - Md Sp Wt 47k - 1 Mile - Santa Anita (B. Baffert)
16. GOLDENCENTS - 89 - Delta Jackpot (G3) - 1 1/16 Miles - Delta (D. O'Neill)
16. MANANDO - 89 - Md Sp Wt 45k - 1 1/16 Miles (Cushion Track) - Betfair Hollywood (B. Baffert)
16. PURE FUN (F) - 89 - OC 75k/N1X -N - 1 Mile - Churchill (K. McPeek)
19. CARVING - 88 - Real Quiet Stakes - 1 1/16 Miles - Betfair Hollywood (B. Baffert)
19. PURE FUN (F) - 88 - Hollywood Starlet (G1) - 1 1/16 Miles (Cushion Track) - Betfair Hollywood (K. McPeek)
21. AVARE - 87 - Eddie Logan Stakes - 1 Mile - Santa Anita (D. O'Neill)
21. BERN IDENTITY - 87 - Jean Lafitte Stakes - 1 Mile - Delta (K. Breen)
21. VIOLENCE - 87 - Nashua Stakes (G2) - 1 Mile - Aqueduct (T. Pletcher)
24. GULFPORT - 86 - OC 75k/N1X -N - 1 Mile - Churchill (D. Romans)
24. MISS LAMOUR (F) - 86 - Md Sp Wt 43k - 1 Mile - Gulfstream (M. Matz)
hi dan i'm a huge stat guy where can i find more stats and info about jocks and their downhill lifetime record at santa anita
thank you troyce
I'd like to get the jockey breakdown for the next edition of Formulator. Now, I'm taking the statistics from our database.
For some interesting jockey stats, check out Laura Ross' website for some data compiled by our Uncle Steve T!
Congrats to Whackymacky for finishing first in last week's HandiGambling exercise.
PENN NATIONAL RICK'S WEEKLY SCORESHEET IS AVAILABLE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS BLOG POST.
Let's go with Friday's sixth race at Santa Anita for this week's contest.
PAST PERFORMANCES ARE AVAILABLE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS BLOG POST.
Remember that you have a mythical $100 with which to wager on the race, and the entrant with the highest money total will receive a "Monthly Enhanced 60-Card Past Performance Plan."
Anyone going over the $100 limit will be disqualified.
Please post your plays and analysis to the blog.
PLEASE GIVE YOUR NAME OR BLOG MONIKER AT THE END OF THE HG PLAY AND/OR ANALYSIS.
Please separate the play from the analysis and label the play "HG" with the program numbers (instead of the horse's name) for easier scoring.
In the event of a tie, the earliest post gets first preference. One entry per person please.
I reserve the right to approve or deny any entries.
I know that there is a time issue for some of you, but let's remember why we began the HandiGambling races in the first place. The goal was to share ideas on why we like these horses, and why we're betting them the way we are. I'm not asking for a novel, but if you could spare a sentence or two outlining your handicapping angles, and thought processes about wagering, it would be appreciated.
REMEMBER, IF YOU ARE DECLARED THE WINNER OF THE HANDIGAMBLING EXERCISE, PLEASE CONTACT FORMBLOG@DRF.COM WITH YOUR DRF LOGIN AND PASSWORD IN ORDER TO ACCESS YOUR PRIZE PACKAGE.
ALSO, IF THE WINNER WOULD LIKE TO SELECT THE FOLLOWING WEEK'S RACE, PLEASE CONTACT FORMBLOG@DRF.COM NO LATE THAN THE FOLLOWING WEDNESDAY MORNING (A FRIDAY RACE IS MOST IDEAL).
Best of luck to all.
|Copy of Formblog Contest Santa Anita 12-28-12.xls||47.5 KB|
ARRGH! Anderson (at least- I haven't looked earlier) beats me w/ a $25 EX over my $20 EX. Congrats! At least I got a $10 EX w/ real money to make up for a terrible day betting Gulfstream.
HGSA corection since curtis already has my exacta bet of 10-12 I will go with : $30 exacta 12 with 5610=$90 $10 exacta 10-2=$10
HGSA- 6th at Santa Anita January 4, 2013 No horse in today’s race ran on dirt last time out, so I will be biased towards entries with a good history on the dirt at Santa Anita. • 1 Metaza- Scratch. • 2 Lia Juliana- Won last time out at this distance and is stepping up in class today. I do not think she is fast enough for this group. • 3 Sudden Sunday- First race ever on dirt, and is coming off wins in last two outings and has been in the money in four of five starts. Shortening up to 6 furlongs today against a field loaded with speed. Could surprise as she may have a little more stamina, but I am not confident • 4 Twelve Folds- Had success on this track; in the money five of five times with one win. Could beat the two who were better in her last race on her favorite surface. She needs a good trip, but I like her. Jockey change to Bejarano could be a help as he and this trainer win 27% of the time. • 5 Trapper’s Bounty- Will be on or close to the lead, but there are better front runners in this race. • 6 Church Avenue- Won two or last three and will most likely be the favorite today. Seems to have better success on synthetic as she has never won on dirt. Put in the bottom of exotics. • 7 Promiscuoussuances- I am glad I do not have to say this name. Another front runner who has never run on dirt. I think there is a lot of speed and this sets up better for others. • 8 Miss Reditore- Was second on this surface at this distance back in April on her only try. She wants a fast pace and will get it, so she will definitely be in the mix if she gets outside in the stretch. • 9 Luxuriance- Third race after two strong outings on turf. She may be upfront or could stalk, and could be in better shape doing the latter. Using in exotics. • 10 My Brite Caroline- In the money four of six times on this surface and runs consistent BSFs. Could be a factor for second or third if the pace is fast. • 11 Suances Flower- First race since April, but won one of two races at this distance on this surface. Won after an eight month layoff in 2011. • 12 Shezabigbroad- The race could set up well for her as the pace should be quick and she wants to close. Two wins in two tries at this distance on this surface. Wager: $35 Win 4 = $35 $10 Exacta 4/6, 8, 9, 10, 12 = $50 $5 Exacta 8/4, 10, 12= $15 Tom W.
Annie, Thanks for posting about Moro Tap.. When I saw SR post the entries...I was intrigued to see the m/l for Moro Tap. Hoping for 4-1 or higher. A quality won for this colt can create some buzz for future races at Gulfstream leading up to derby. Will be rooting for a big score. Winner gets Peppermints!! MKB is the way to be. PNR
HGSA 3 Sudden Sunday is going for the triple today with after breaking maiden on grass then repeating with a route win at Golden Gate, Bertrando filly will be around 8-1 morning line. Using the 4 Twelve Folds and 8 Miss Reditore in exact(a/or)s. Good Luck to all the HandiGamblers. HG wager: $25 EX 4 with 3,8 $30 EX 3 with 4 $20 EX 3 with 8 . Anderson
To DavidM999 Seems like I have also been getting too many questionable riding decisions by jockeys lately. I will admit they have been 2nd tier jockeys mostly on longer priced horses. I am offering a consolation prize to you for having your watch list horse made national news. Two horses on my watch list are running today at Santa Anita. 4th Tough 'n Dangerous 12-1 ml My notes are: 11-11-12, running easy, very good outing, needed, rundown by 6/5 8th Having a Big Middle ml 7/2, 11-11-12 easy win, worked, maybe improving, but did not beat much My watch list horses are not horses for me to automatically bet back. They are horses who either impressed me or had trouble and which I believe will run ok in their next race or two. I have no time to punt today nor do I have a form, so I don't know whether they have run since 11-11 or how they did. Like I say, a consolation prize. RonZ
HG308 @the Great Race Place, This race is shaping up as a stumper for me. I'll use some class & hope I get some luck w/some others who have some tri's w/mine. $25 Exacta Box........#10 with/#4 & #12........... TotaliZation...........................................................=$100.00............................ Curtis V Slewster..................
HG SA 6th $4 Tri Box 4-5-7-9 for $96 $4 Win on 9 I hope they can beat the 6. STUCKINARIZONA
HG $50 Ex box 3/10 10 drops to right level, on favorite track at favorite distance, decent work, and can close. 3 is improving and can lay behind speed. Rick
OK, in case there are any non-believers in the MKB, the Wynn Race and Sports Book currently has 15 horses at 40-1 or less. And guess what, all 15 are MKB horses. :) LONGWAYTOMAY'S Violence 12-1 KNM'S Uncaptured 14-1 KELLEY BELLES' Shanghai Bobby 18-1 JAY VAN HORN'S Frac Daddy 22-1 RON ZUERCHER'S Flashback 25-1 ALAN'S Goldencents 25-1 SPARTAN TOM'S Normandy Invasion 25-1 YOU FEEL LUCKY'S Overanalyze 30-1 STUCKINARIZONA'S Archwarrior 35-1 LAURA'S Capo Bastone 35-1 DAN ILLMAN'S Power Broker 35-1 ANNIE'S He's Had Enough 40-1 :) TMONTY'S Palace Malice 40-1 CASEYJEAUX'S Purple Egg 40-1 PIG BODINE'S War Academy 40-1 Pretty nice! The MKB horses are the cream of the crop. It is very likely that one of them will win the Derby. However, it may not be one of the above. As Dick Jerardi said in his article, the stars of today are not necessarily in the Derby in May. So, if your MKB has not yet distinquished himself, there is still hope. :) Annie