- DRF Bets
- Handicapping & PPsThoroughbred Past Performances
ReportsPremium NewsDigital PapersHorsemen's Products
- DRF Classic PDF PPs
- DRF Formulator PPs
- TimeformUS PPs
- DRF EasyForm PPs
- Daily Racing Program PPs
- Equibase PPs
- TrackMaster PPs
- Using Timeform Ratings
- NewsCategoriesTrack Notes
- Learn to Play
- History of Horseracing
- How to read PPs
- How to use EasyForm
- How to use Formulator
- How to use TicketMaker
- Beyer Speed Figures
- Moss Pace Figures
- Using Race Shape Symbols
- Using Timeform Ratings
- BreezeFigs Handicapping
- Wagering and Winning
- Harness Night School
- Point of Call Index
- 3-Year Best Time Chart
- DRF TV
- StorePast Performances
- Compare all DRF PPs
- DRF Formulator PPs
- DRF Classic PPs
- DRF EasyForm PPs
- Daily Racing Program PPs
- TimeformUS PPs
- Equibase & Trackmaster PPs - Thoroughbred
The Pickett Factor one to follow
Over the past few years, we've seen some salty Louisiana-breds.
Star Guitar, String King, Costa Rising and Sunbean immediately come to mind. Happy Ticket won the first nine starts of her racing career and made it 10 out of her initial 11 starts with a score in the Grade 1 Ballerina at Saratoga. Vicar's In Trouble certainly enjoyed the home cooking in 2014 as the 3-year-old polished off a tidy LeComte Stakes, Louisiana Derby and Super Derby trifecta.
Following an impressive victory in the $100,000 Gold Cup Stakes traveling a mile at Delta Downs on November 14, THE PICKETT FACTOR could be ready to assume his place as the next top runner from the Pelican State.
A 3-year-old gelding with an excellent lifetime record of 7-5-0-1, The Pickett Factor popped a 99 Beyer Speed Figure in the Gold Cup. He went right to the front from his rail post position and was joined under the wire the first time by pace rivals KNOW YOU NOW and GALVESTON HARBOR (a multiple stakes-placed 5-year-old).
Jockey Luis Quinonez kept The Pickett Factor just off the inside heading into the backstretch and they set fractions of 23.09 and 47.31. Know You Now dropped away on the backstretch and The Pickett Factor had Galveston Harbor off the bridle on the final turn. The Pickett Factor was never in serious trouble late. He completed the journey in 1:38.58 while 5 3/4 lengths better than Galveston Harbor. Late-running stakes-winners TOO DIM, ONE KING'S MAN, WARREN'S REBEL, STORMDRIVER and WELL'S GOLD could make no impact.
Bred by E. O. Pickett, The Pickett Factor was foaled on April 3, 2012. His sire, Gold Tribute, retired a maiden but placed in both the Grade 1 Champagne Stakes and the Grade 2 Del Mar Futurity as a 2-year-old in 1996. Gold Tribute has sired several champions in Chile. His best runners in North America are Louisiana-bred champion Tortuga Straits and Grade 3 winner Geronimo.
The Pickett Factor is out of the unraced Dynaspice (by Dynaformer), a broodmare that has also foaled Benwill, a three-time stakes-winning turf router that banked almost a quarter of a million dollars. Dynaspice is a half-sister to Get My Fix, second in the Grade 3 Hollywood Prevue Stakes at seven furlongs over cushion track.
Campaigned by owner Melissa Cantacuzene and trainer Ralph Irwin, The Pickett Factor began his career with a six-furlong maiden victory against open company at Oaklawn Park on Valentine's Day. He was beaten in his second start, his first race back from a two-plus month layoff caused by a bruised foot, but reeled off three consecutive wins culminating with an 87-Beyer tally in the $100,000 Super Derby Prelude Stakes at Louisiana Downs. Sent away the second choice in the Grade 2 Super Derby, The Pickett Factor finished fourth after pressing the early pace.
It seems likely that the lightly-raced gelding is coming into his own and he should make a nice older runner next year in statebred events. He is not a one-dimensional speedball, either, and his versatility should play very well at middle distances.
Here are the top 25 WINNING Beyer Speed Figures from 11/3/15 - 11/9/15:
1. ARE YOU KIDDING ME - 102 - Autumn Stakes (G2-C) - 1 1/16 Miles (Polytrack) - 8Nov15-6WO
2. TANNER'S POPSICLE - 99 - Alw 16000s - 6 Furlongs - 6Nov15-7CD
3. DREAMING OF JOEY - 98 - Alw 6250s - 6 Furlongs - 7Nov15-1PEN
3. GOLDY ESPONY (FR) - 98 - Long Island Handicap (G3) - 1 1/2 Miles (Turf) - 7Nov15-8AQU
3. MARKING - 98 - Alw 67000N1X - 1 Mile - 4Nov15-7AQU
6. JEWEL OF A CAT - 96 - Millions Turf Sprint Preview Stakes - 5 Furlongs (Turf) - 7Nov15-4GPW
6. POSHKY - 96 - OC 62k/N2X -N - 1 1/8 Miles (Turf) - 6Nov15-7DMR
8. ALERT BAY - 95 - Alw 42411NC - 1 1/16 Miles (Turf) - 6Nov15-6GG
8. ALL RUN - 95 - OC 62k/N2X -N - 6 Furlongs - 7Nov15-7DMR
8. BEANTOWN SAINT - 95 - OC 40k/N3X -N - 5 1/2 Furlongs (Turf) - 7Nov15-9LRL
8. MELMICH - 95 - Alw 88161NC - 1 5/8 Miles (Polytrack) - 5Nov15-6WO
12. HOGY - 93 - Alw 62345NC - 5 Furlongs (Turf) - 5Nov15-2CD
13. COMPLIANCE OFFICER - 92 - Clm 32000 - 1 Mile (Turf) - 7Nov15-6AQU
13. JAKE N ELWOOD - 92 - Alw 44400N2X - 6 1/2 Furlongs - 3Nov15-8PRX
13. OBSIDIAN SPLENDOR - 92 - Alw 57255N1X - 1 Mile (Turf) - 4Nov15-9CD
13. PROFESSOR BERNS - 92 - Alw 60110N1X - 1 1/16 Miles (Turf) - 7Nov15-4DMR
13. STREET FIGHTING - 92 - Clm 20000B - 1 Mile (Turf) - 7Nov15-4HAW
13. WRATH OF RUTHIE - 92 - Md Sp Wt 55k - 6 Furlongs - 5Nov15-7CD
19. OLIGARCH - 91 - OC c-40k/N1X - 6 1/2 Furlongs - 8Nov15-7DMR
19. SHAKHIMAT - 91 - Coronation Futurity Stakes - 1 1/8 Miles (Polytrack) - 8Nov15-8WO
19. TIZ'NAZ - 91 - Clm c-5000 - 1 Mile 70 Yards - 7Nov15-6PRX
19. WAKE UP IN MALIBU - 91 - OC 40k/N2X -N - 1 Mile - 5Nov15-7AQU
23. ALEX THE TERROR - 90 - Alw 67000N1X - 6 1/2 Furlongs - 7Nov15-3AQU
23. FULL RANSOM - 90 - Kathryn Crosby Stakes - 1 1/16 Miles (Turf) - 7Nov15-8DMR
23. GLORY - 90 - OC 62k/N2X -N - 1 1/16 Miles (Turf) - 7Nov15-6DMR
23. SARAGUERO - 90 - Millions Classic Preview Stakes - 1 1/16 Miles - 7Nov15-5GPW
*ARE YOU KIDDING ME's lifetime past performances are available at the bottom of this blog post.
*TIZ'NAZ was claimed for $5,000 by trainer Scott Lake from Ramon Preciado.
*OLIGARCH was claimed for $40,000 by trainer Jerry Hollendorfer from Peter Miller.
Here are the top 25 WINNING Beyer Speed Figures from 11/10/15 - 11/16/15:
1. MR MAYBE - 104 - Red Smith Handicap (G3) - 1 3/8 Miles (Turf) - 14Nov15-7AQU
2. X Y JET - 102 - OC 62k/C -N - 6 Furlongs - 11Nov15-8GPW
3. THE PICKETT FACTOR - 99 - Gold Cup Stakes - 1 Mile - 14Nov15-8DED
3. TOMMY MACHO - 99 - Discovery Handicap (G3) - 1 1/8 Miles - 11Nov15-8AQU
5. ISABELLA SINGS - 98 - Mrs. Revere Stakes (G2) - 1 1/16 Miles (Turf) - 14Nov15-10CD
5. RICHARD'S BOY - 98 - OC 80k/C -N - 5 Furlongs (Turf) - 12Nov15-7DMR
5. RICH DADDY - 98 - OC 62k/C -N - 1 Mile 70 Yards - 13Nov15-5GPW
5. THE BIG DELUXE - 98 - OC c-40k/N2X - 6 Furlongs - 11Nov15-6AQU
9. GENTLEMEN'S BET - 97 - Frank J. DeFrancis Memorial Dash - 6 Furlongs - 14Nov15-10LRL
9. LAYTHATPISTOLDOWN - 97 - Clm 25000 - 1 Mile (Turf) - 11Nov15-5GPW
11. PAGE MCKENNEY - 96 - Richard W. Small Stakes - 1 1/8 Miles - 14Nov15-5LRL
11. REGALLY READY - 96 - OC 100k/C -N - 1 Mile (Turf) - 15Nov15-10CD
13. ABSOLUTELY COOL - 95 - Luke Kruytbosch Stakes - 6 Furlongs - 14Nov15-8TUP
13. HOT CITY GIRL - 95 - Safely Kept Stakes - 7 Furlongs - 14Nov15-9LRL
13. MISS MISCHIEF - 95 - Bessarabian Stakes (G2-C) - 7 Furlongs (Polytrack) - 15Nov15-8WO
16. WILBO - 94 - OC 100k/N3L - 6 1/2 Furlongs - 15Nov15-1CD
17. EAGLE - 93 - OC 80k/N3X -N - 1 1/16 Miles - 11Nov15-9CD
17. ROCKPORT KAT - 93 - OC 40k/N1X -N - 1 Mile - 14Nov15-7DMR
19. GOOD LORD - 92 - Clm 50000 - 7 Furlongs - 12Nov15-3CD
19. RED ZEUS - 92 - OC 25k/C -N - 1 Mile (Turf) - 15Nov15-7TUP
21. CHOCOLATIER (FR) - 91 - OC 62k/C -N - 1 3/8 Miles (Turf) - 12Nov15-7AQU
21. FIRE AWAY - 91 - OC 62k/C -N - 1 3/8 Miles (Turf) - 13Nov15-8AQU
21. STREET SWAGG - 91 - OC15k/SAL7k - 6 Furlongs - 11Nov15-2FL
24. CRACKERJACK JONES - 90 - Fio Rito Stakes - 1 1/8 Miles - 12Nov15-8FL
24. EYE LUV LULU - 90 - OC 40k/N3X -N - 6 1/2 Furlongs - 10Nov15-8PRX
24. GOLDEN GLINT - 90 - OC c-32k/N2X - 1 1/16 Miles - 11Nov15-7LRL
24. PAY THE FINE - 90 - Alw 67424N1X - 5 Furlongs (Turf) - 15Nov15-6DMR
*MR MAYBE's lifetime past performances are available at the bottom of this blog post.
*THE BIG DELUXE was claimed for $40,000 by trainer Steve Klesaris from Rudy Rodriguez.
*GOLDEN GLINT was claimed for $32,000 by trainer Kieron Magee from Mary Eppler.
Video stakes analyses for many of the weekend's major stakes will be available later this week at http://www.drf.com/videos
You can follow me on Twitter @DRF_DanIllman.
I'll be with Mike Beer for live coverage of racing at Aqueduct, Del Mar, Delta, Gulfstream West and Churchill beginning at 3pm ET at live.drf.com.
Here's a message from Laura regarding our 2016 FormBlog Convention at Gulfstream Park:
Make plans to attend the 2016 FORMBLOGERS CONVENTION! February 19 - 21 at Gulfstream Park. Courtesy of our generous benefactor, Mike Nyman, we once again have a private suite - temperamental wagering machine included.
Room discounts at the Hampton Inn across the street from the track are available. With the discount, the rooms run about $200/night including taxes and free breakfast buffet. (The Romance Package is extra and hotel management is very strict about that).
We always have a fun time - even when the track gets washed away! Besides the pleasure of each other's company - and that of our fearless leader, Dan Who, there will be Breeders' Cup swag, and more! Previous years, courtesy of SR Vegas, we included Derby Futures Tickets given in raffles throughout the weekend (everyone winds up with one!), and other fun stuff.
I'll have more info available in the next few weeks. I offer FREE! transportation to/from the Ft. Lauderdale airport.
If you have any questions, please contact me at: email@example.com
Congrats to Rodney for finishing first in the most recent HandiGambling event.
Rodney selected Saturday's Artie Schiller Stakes at Aqueduct for this week's exercise.
PAST PERFORMANCES ARE AVAILABLE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS BLOG POST.
SR Vegas and Rick M. have graciously decided to streamline all of the HG rules in order to make them an easier read for everyone...
With so many new people attending Dan's Formblog we thought it would be a good time to update the Handigambling Guidelines and Rules as we go forward in 2014.
Let's remember WHY we began the HandiGambling races in the first place. The goal was to share ideas on why we like these horses and why we're betting them the way we are. We are not asking for a novel but if you could spare a sentence or two outlining your handicapping angles and thought processes about wagering, it would be appreciated.
Please start your post with HG or HANDIGAMBLING to better recognize and find your entry.
- You have a mythical $100 to wager in whatever format you choose and that is available for that HG race.
Anyone going over the $100 limit will be disqualified.
- Post your WAGER and ANALYSIS to the blog WITH YOUR NAME/OR MONIKER AT THE END OF THE POST. Remember that posts may start as 'anonymous' or an 'alternate name'. You MUST sign yourself at the end (even if it is the same) This enables the scorekeeper to recognize you .
- (1) ONE ENTRY per person for the Handigambling contest. If you have multiple email addresses, use just ONE for contest purposes. Multiple entries will be cause for disqualification.
- Separate your analysis from the wager and use the horses # in your wager. Just like you would do in a real wager. No horse names.
-In the event of a tie, the earliest post gets first preference. Dan reserves the right to approve or deny any entries.
- The winner will receive a "60-Card Quarterly Formulator Past Performance Plan"
As an example :
The speed in this race goes to horses # 1, 4 ,6 ..Ennie , Meenie, and Mo
Since it's a sprint I don't see any closers catching them.. like # 9 Miney.
I think trainer Groucho with the #6 Mo has the best stats in this condition, route to sprint.. just a gut feeling at large odds ML 20-1
50$ Ex box 1-6
A MORE DETAILED ANALYSIS IS ALWAYS APPRECIATED !
REMEMBER, IF YOU ARE DECLARED THE WINNER OF THE HANDIGAMBLING EXERCISE; PLEASE CONTACT FORMBLOG@DRF.COM WITH YOUR DRF LOGIN AND PASSWORD IN ORDER TO ACCESS YOUR PRIZE PACKAGE.
ALSO, IF THE WINNER WOULD LIKE TO SELECT THE FOLLOWING WEEK'S RACE, PLEASE CONTACT FORMBLOG@DRF.COM NO LATER THAN THE FOLLOWING WEDNESDAY MORNING (A SATURDAY RACE IS MOST IDEAL)
|Copy of Formblog LI Handicap 11-7-15.xls.xls||17.36 KB|
Curt V, So glad we seem to be back on the level again. I note your continued dismissal of "talking French", but I am not giving up on you just yet. It will remain one of the missions of my life to get you longing to watch and enjoy the Arc. Best Regards - Bernard Downes
GBL, Forty-two at the moment. I am patiently? waiting for more. It could happen. Maybe your first Kentucky Derby winner will be your own. :) Good luck!!! Annie
Hooray! I'm all fixed. Thank you, CURTIS! Annie
Correction: I'm sorry The Julie Krone Horse was trained by Nick Zito not DWL... GBL
Curt V, Excellent Handigambler, Seattle Slew PHD and IT Guru.........What is next for you? :) TBTA
Annie- With approximately what? 40 entrants so far for MKB, one of us (preferably the first time charmers like myself) better have KD winner :) You know for past 20+ years of handicapping, I never had a KD winner? The closest I ever came was when I had to pick between Thunder Gulch and some horse ridden by Julie Crone (BOTH TRAINED BY DWL) and guess who I chose? GBL
SPARTAN TOM where are you? Doesn't anyone know SPARTAN TOM? And MOOCH, do you want a horse or not? Those two in particular seemed like legitimate candidates for the MKB and seemed to have disappeared. :( I know many of the people on the Most Wanted list completely disappeared from the bog some time ago, but there are several on there that I thought for sure would sign up for the MKB again. It's too early to start eating turkey, get your orders in first. :) Annie
Fellow Formbloggers, ThanX much for the shouts. I hear U loud & clear. Too many to enumerate. Some were really funny. Yes, U too Bernard. Just stop talking 'French' to me. Heehee...; :) Curt V.
OK, I couldn't post all afternoon, but now I can. Unfortunately, I don't have anything to say at the moment. : ) Oh, I guess I can say, "C'mon you guys, sign up! I need to know how many two-year-olds I need, one for each participant". Annie
Annie (and anyone else having trouble with the website), If you are having problems with the site, email customer service. I still cannot access Formulator on Chrome ever since they revamped the website (I have to use Safari). I've done everything, it just doesn't work. I'm constantly prompted to login in again and again and that leads to an error screen. DRF never resolved the problem for me, but if enough people email them with similar problems, maybe they'll just take a sledgehammer to the entire site and start over from scratch.